PC Hardware forum

General discussion

HTPC case

by James Le / December 12, 2007 12:41 PM PST

I've recently built a gaming computer and it is a mid-tower case in my living room. I've decided that I would like to use a desktop HTPC case. I've looked around and it has been hard finding one that will fit all of my components. More specifically, my 8800 GTS and Hyper TX-2 cooler. My budget is fairly limited and I don't need touch screen like I've seen on high end cases.
And another question, how would I reduce computer noise if it is placed within a cabinet? The cabinet has plentiful open space in the rear.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTPC case
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTPC case
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, you might be limited to mATX cases...
by ikjadoon / December 13, 2007 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: HTPC case

A desktop HTPC case will be difficult to fit a 8800GTS, much less a Hyper TX. Have you considered a regular mATX gaming case, like the Ultra Microfly. A 8800GTS could possibly be squeezed in there, but I'm a bit afraid about the Hyper TX-2. Unfortunately, the only confirmed case of a n 8800GTS fitting is in a $200 case; I just don't have the info on the other cases, but their size differences are not really that much different.

Collapse -
well I have an..
by James Le / December 13, 2007 1:42 PM PST

ATX motherboard. That would mean I would need a massive case to hold it with a Hyper TX2?

Collapse -
by James Le / December 13, 2007 2:06 PM PST
In reply to: well I have an..

Would a Silverstone CW01 fit? The dimensions seem to fit it. It is 425mm x 170mm x 443 mm. While the Hyper tx2 is 92mm and the GTS is 268 mm.

Collapse -
I would think any midtower size case should do ok.
by ahtoi / December 14, 2007 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: well I have an..

and if a horizontal case is what you are after, they have that also. I have a cooler master case that look fairly nice but it is big (midtower).

Collapse -
size isnt a problem.
by James Le / December 14, 2007 8:35 AM PST

I guess HTPC wasnt the best choice of words for my components. Are there any cases that you know of that are horizontal. I just want the drive bays to be horizontal as well.

Collapse -
by ikjadoon / December 14, 2007 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: size isnt a problem.

Just browse this search. There are all the 'sideways'/desktop-style computers. What is your budget range?

HTPC is a good word, but you might've left out that it is a ATX motherboard, not a mATX one.

Collapse -
I see cooler master don't make my model anymore, but ..
by ahtoi / December 14, 2007 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: size isnt a problem.
Collapse -
budget: ~140
by James Le / December 14, 2007 3:41 PM PST

I'm still unsure about the atx desktops. They dont seem to fit my hyper tx2 cooler. Though, if I see that the case is truly worth it, then I would be willing to pay for it.

Collapse -
Measure the case dimension you have now and compare ..
by ahtoi / December 14, 2007 5:39 PM PST
In reply to: budget: ~140

what you are going to get. You have a server case now or what?

Collapse -
I had this problem too
by efflux02 / December 14, 2007 6:41 PM PST
In reply to: budget: ~140

I went with a Silverstone LC17C

It's a great case with plenty of room, although I did need to replace my cooler which was about a quarter inch too high for the case. Your hyper tx2 might fit though. Mine was like an ASUS artic square model, which is probably the tallest heatsink on the planet.

But yeah, the case fits a full size ATX board, full size video cards, 6 hard drives.. etc etc..

Heavy though.. very solid construction. Seems quiet too! If you don't want a high end touch screen model HTPC case.. then take a look at this one.

Great reviews here:

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
191.5 X 435 X 513.5 mm are my dimensions
by James Le / December 15, 2007 12:31 AM PST
In reply to: I had this problem too

for a NZXT HUSH case. The main thing would have to be height in the new case I would have to say. Does the Silverstone LC17C fit a 8800 GTS?

Collapse -
by efflux02 / December 15, 2007 5:53 PM PST

8800 GTS? Height-wise, I see no reason why it wouldn't.

I have a basic 7600GS in it, and there's plenty of room to spare.

Collapse -
Yes, But the 8800 GTS is much longer
by James Le / December 16, 2007 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: probably..

than an 7900 gs. I have just decided to tip my case over. Still looks pretty nice. THanks to everyone.

Collapse -
The only problem I see is the dvd drive.
by ahtoi / December 16, 2007 3:38 AM PST

Make sure it can be mounted horizontally or vertically. I am not certain if they are still being manufacture or not now.

Collapse -
Actually I do need a case still.
by James Le / December 16, 2007 11:30 AM PST

my case isnt supposed to be horizontal, but it is anyways. I think i would need a case larges and wide and tall. Just something massive, which is hard to find in a HTPC, if only they created something a size of a huge Denon.

Collapse -
Sorry, CPU cooler
by James Le / December 16, 2007 12:00 PM PST

I would replace my hyper tx2 cooler to fit my htpc, but I would rather choose a cooler that has a better install than the clips. Such as screws or something. Is there such a cooler? And is artic silver paste necessary?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?