HolidayBuyer's Guide

Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

HTML Tag ?

by chgo29 / January 27, 2008 10:08 AM PST

I just need some help in identifying this "tag". I'm going to "paste" a portion of a recipe that I printed off the web recently. It contains a strange "character" that I have seen before on the web. I don't know what it is. I thought maybe it was an HTML tag. It's a capital A with a little arrowhead on top. I don't even know how anyone would type that on a standard keyboard. But here's the paste. There's 4 of these A's in the paste.

For brownies
2 sticks (

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTML Tag ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTML Tag ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ignore it
by Andrea B. / January 28, 2008 7:23 PM PST
In reply to: HTML Tag ?

I'd say it's nothing - and anything else makes no sense - how much do 2 sticks of butter weigh?

However, this is a font issue, not an HTML tag - HTML tags are inside the code and have those triangle brackets around them ( < and >)

Collapse -
by entrecon / January 28, 2008 10:39 PM PST
In reply to: HTML Tag ?

I am finding this strange, when I look at the source code for this page, I don't see anything associated to those characters.

Collapse -
Re: character set problems
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2008 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: HTML Tag ?

For a better analysis, we need:
1. The webpage url
2. The settings of View>Coding in your Internet Explorer

Can you tell them?


Collapse -
Here's URL
by chgo29 / January 28, 2008 11:26 PM PST

Hey Guys ! Thanks for your response.

The URL is

My Internet Explorer "View" is set to View>encoding> - and then there are two things checked - "Western European(ISO)" and "Left to Right Document".

This is no big deal - I made the recipe and just read it as if those A's weren't there - and it turned out OK. But, it just bugs me trying to figure out what they are and how they got there - I don't think you can even type them like that. and, Andrea - to answer your question - two sticks of butter weigh 1/2 pound.

So, if anyone could solve the mystery we would all be a little smarter and it would be one less thing we'd have to think about.
Thanks for your help - all of you - Cliff

Collapse -
Re: problem with the site
by Kees Bakker / January 28, 2008 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: Here's URL

The page header says it's Unicode. And then IE doesn't interpret it like that. So apparently it isn't proper Unicode.
Such happens if the webmaster uses the wrong tools or uses the right tools the wrong way. Especially if he copies and pastes himself from some source that might be wrong itself to start with.

Nothing you can do about it. It's the page that's wrong. Contact the webmaster and let him correct it.


Collapse -
Thanks Kees
by chgo29 / January 29, 2008 1:51 AM PST

OK - Thanks Kees for your input. There's so much that baffles me about computers I just thought this was one more thing that everyone understood but me. Cliff

Collapse -
Special ASCII Character
by mjwedeking / February 13, 2008 1:52 AM PST
In reply to: HTML Tag ?

Looks like a special extended ASCII character. You can type it by holding down ALT and 142

Collapse -
an idea re: fractions
by Molly Melcher / September 25, 2010 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: HTML Tag ?

How fun to have a question, google it, and find others had the same question.

I noticed that the strange A with the mark on top preceded fractions that were transformed into a smaller character ( i.e. 1/2 vs 3/4--but then of course it doesn't do it as I'm typing this . . .) So perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with the actual amount in the recipe. I've found it in a number of recipes and was hesitant to trust them but looks as though the character can be ignored.


Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions


Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.