TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

HTIB or separate speakers for Room Size 300 sf?

by wisemanbba / May 12, 2004 4:38 AM PDT

Can I get some advice on what to look for in home theater for a room about 300 sq. ft.? Would a HTIB work in a room of this size? I have the TV alread (50-inch LCD) and am trying to figure out what would be best for theater AND music for the house.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTIB or separate speakers for Room Size 300 sf?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTIB or separate speakers for Room Size 300 sf?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:HTIB or separate speakers for Room Size 300 sf?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2004 5:00 AM PDT

The problem is that word "best." You may have to try a few systems before you find it.

http://www.bose.co.uk/home_audio/music_speakers/ for example lists some common speakers and the quality is good. There are many other makers, but with what you've written, no one should answer.

I'd go shopping and get in home demos.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:HTIB or separate speakers for Room Size 300 sf?
by wisemanbba / May 12, 2004 5:15 AM PDT

Just looking for some recommendations for what to look for for a room that size and something under $1200. just wondering if most HTIB would not work for a room that size...

Collapse -
Work? Yes. Best? Still a term that may thwart discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2004 6:01 AM PDT

The area of home theater can confound everyone with wide expenses of quality and ways to measure such and what would be "best."

Imagine those purists that want the tube based amplifiers for that warm feeling. Or those that claim they can hear a "splice in the cable."

"Best" is not what I'd want to mix with off the shelf systems... But such are very easy to install and have all the wires and instructions.

Bob

Collapse -
home theatre speakers
by lcd52 / November 14, 2008 5:29 AM PST

Have a sony lcd 52 120 hrz 1080 tv, also bought the sony str dgr-820 av receiver with sony br 350 player. the definitive technology pro 600 work well with movies but sound compressed wth music at high volume. hooked up some older mission electronic 600's

Collapse -
Speakers
by Dan Filice / November 14, 2008 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: home theatre speakers

To the first poster, HTIB should work fine in a small room. My only hesitation is that these systems lock you into their system and don't always give you the ability for expansion. I personall would prefer a smaller separate receiver & DVD player and separate speakers, but if you are happy with the HTIB configuration, then it should be fine.

To the last poster about his mission speakers, etc: I too started out with old speakers that I had left over from my "stereo" days. The problem with these speakers is that they tried to accomplish in one speaker, what separates and a sub would do in HT speakers. The HT speakers I have now simply blow away my old "stereo" speakers. It all comes down to cross-overs and having separate speakers handle separate frequencies. Old speakers just can't do what a powered sub can do. Thus, HT speakers don't need to be huge monoliths like my old speakers that had 12" woofers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!