TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

htib?

by mdbv25 / February 24, 2006 1:00 AM PST

Home theater in a box? I'm sure there is a bunch out there, any recommendations on a brand? Sony, panosonic etc?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: htib?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: htib?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Here are some.
by jcrobso / February 24, 2006 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: htib?
Collapse -
Help with buying a $200 HTIB system
by molassez / February 26, 2006 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: Here are some.

Here is a something I wrote down earlier - hopefully it can raise some critical questions either to think or someone to answer

Could anyone advice a newbie HTIB buyer?

I am totally newbie to audio, but I would I always would like make an informed decision. I am looking for a home theater system to play DVD's (maybe hook up to computer and do HDTV in the future)that costs MAX $250. I did all the research I could in the internet and am considering the following. If anyone knows anything about particular model or even the brand in general I'd love to hear your advice. I am considering:

Samsung HT-WP38, $200, 800W (I really don't need the DVD player, as I have on already, and I don;t know if samsung is as good in audio as it is in TVs , but the wireless speakers and usb port are welcome. On the other hand, it only has optical digital input, no coax digital input - is that a problem?)

Pioneer HTP-2500,$200, 1000W (lots of wats, but I don't need loud music. Pricey considering it doesn't have wireless rear speakers [has pre out puts, what ever that means])

SONY HT-DDW670, $159 600W (Good price)

Panasonic SC-HT05 , $150 (claims to have 1% THD, when other systems have 10%. How is that possible, when they compete in same price (=cost)range? Also , the amp is in the subwooofer, where as the other systems have the amp in the receiver)

or Logitech Z-5450, $250, 300w (THX certified - does that really mean anything except that the price is higher because of the cost? This is supposed to be a computer system, will it be enough for a 250sq ft room? Am I over paying because it targets a computer gamer niche?)

Thanks for any help, and let me know where to post this if I posted this to the wrong place.

Collapse -
Help with buying a $200 HTIB system
by jcrobso / February 27, 2006 3:20 AM PST

No $200~250 system is going to have 400~1000 wats!!!!! That figure is just bull feathers!!!! Meaningless it is.
Go for the that says 1% THD or less.
Are you hooking up to a PC or a TV????
Yes the THX does mean something, most likly the better unit. John

Collapse -
you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
by masterying01 / February 27, 2006 7:27 AM PST

hair dryers have 1000+ watts. and since wattage is the only thing that matters in a receiver, i'll just plug some speakers into it so i can get the best sound possible.

Collapse -
Apples and oranges. . .
by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2006 10:58 AM PST

You can't compare wattage between a hair dryer that USES a thousand watts, and a stereo system that DELIVERS a thousand watts. Hair dryers are using current with an input of 110-115 VAC at 60 Hz, and use the built in resistance measured in Kilo-Ohms. Receiver amplifiers deliver power with a frequency range of ~20-20,000 Hz to a device with an impedance of between 4 and 8 Ohms; the speakers. The sub-woofer receives an input measured in micro-volts called pre-amp.

Do some homework before you post such an absurd statement.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) lol, it was sarcasm.
by masterying01 / February 27, 2006 1:19 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Oooooo, sorry.
by Coryphaeus / February 27, 2006 8:09 PM PST
Collapse -
Yes, but it gave me an chance to,,,,,,
by jcrobso / February 28, 2006 1:22 AM PST

Give a basic lession in electricty. John

Collapse -
you're wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,,,maybe not!!!!!!
by jcrobso / February 28, 2006 1:19 AM PST

Lets think about this,,,, Yes a hair dryer will use 1200watts. Ohm's law for watts is,, voltage x current(amps)= watts. For a hair dryer to have 1200 watts at 120volts it will take 10 apms of current.
This appiles for ALL electrical usage!!!!!
For a reciver to have a 1000w output it will take 8.3amps at 120v.

Now all electrical equptiment will have lable on the back of the unit stating how many watts the unit uses.
This question came up about a year ago. A Sony unit was calming 1000w. But when I checked out the specs on the Sony web site,,, the unit was rated as 245w of power usage!!! So the unit output 4 times more power than it takes in???? Not going to happen!!!!
You CAN NOT HAVE MORE OUTPUT POWER THAN YOU TAKE FROM THE LINE!!!! Usualy it is less!!!!

The FTC came up with a set of rules for amp power ratings, this is ingorned by most makers of consumer amps/ Recivers.
So check out some of thoes units,,, compaire the wattage rating on the back of the unit with the "claimed wattage output" Sony magic or Sony balony???

Collapse -
Thanks
by molassez / February 27, 2006 11:33 PM PST

Thanks for the advice. As to you question, I am primarily planning to hook up to TV (CRT).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.