Phones forum

General discussion

HTC Fuze any good (compared to iPhone)?

by candday / March 25, 2009 3:29 PM PDT

I'm on AT&T and planning to upgrade my phone soon. The iPhone is great for obvious reasons, including its user friendliness and a wealth of apps (many of which are useless tho, I kno haha).

Anyways I'm definitely not getting the iPhone b/c I don't want to pay extra for the required data plan, I just want to keep my monthly bill the same. So I am thinking of getting the HTC Fuze, which seems comparable. But can someone confirm that
(1) I don't need to buy a data plan for this phone
(2) I can use the browser to go online if I am able to connect to a wireless network nearby

I kno the general differences b/n HTC Fuze and iPhone, but I want to know if its functionality is about the same (like they both do the same things, so I'm not going to be missing out on something big regardless of which phone I pick). It is, right?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTC Fuze any good (compared to iPhone)?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTC Fuze any good (compared to iPhone)?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Answers from a current ATT customer
by Pepe7 / March 26, 2009 1:34 AM PDT

To keep it short and sweet ;), no, you won't be required to sign up for a data plan only *IF* you buy it for the no commitment price, or have access to handset-only upgrades via a premier/business account. In other words, the lower subsidized prices listed now in the brick and mortar stores/online *do* require the data plan. There may also be different terms regarding keeping a data plan for a minimum of 6 mos. for a rebate if one is offered. That can vary sometimes, for example, going through Amazon.com or letstalk.com.

Yes, you can simply use the browser via your home/work/wireless cafe wifi connection. That's how I primarily use my ATT Tilt (HTC 8925), since I'm around wifi 95+% of the day. ATT does not lock this feature out or charge extra as such. There are at least a couple of windows mobile applications that let your turn off the 3G connection so you can rely on 'free' wifi when available/needed. Modaco no data is the one that I use on my WM6 encrusted Tilt ;). FWIW, the free third party browser Skyfire is a really greater alternative to PIE (portable Internet Explorer) that comes preloaded on the Tilt and Fuze.

Regarding functionality, out of the box the iPhone is certainly the show stopper with a better browsing experience IMO. You really have to learn how to tweak a windows mobile device like the Fuze to get it just right. This does require some time and a bit of a learning curve if you aren't particularly tech saavy. The capacitive touch screen technology of the iPhone is a lot more user friendly IMO and E as well, but I have adapted to my Tilt with a plethora of useful apps, contrary to the popular belief that the presence of an Apple app store necessarily makes the whole shebang 'superior'. I won't even go into that one today. Having a full physical keyboard is a huge plus, as is more control over the device with all the custom ROMs & free apps available. OTOH, there are some feature upgrades to the iPhone arriving with OS 3.0 (and perhaps a new iPhone entirely this year), so you might want to investigate if that would meet your needs regardless of whether or not you'd have to pony up for a data plan.

hth,
Pedro

Collapse -
thanks!!
by candday / March 26, 2009 9:38 AM PDT

this is very helpful, i really appreciate it^_^

Collapse -
Hmm
by newstory91 / April 30, 2009 11:59 AM PDT

Ok, I recently bought a htc fuze on ebay
i had an iphone and the data plan already, but i want to get rid of the data plan and not have to get another one for the htc Sad
is that possible? i really dont need internet and unlimited blah blah. thats whyyyy i got rid of the iphone...

Collapse -
Yes
by Pepe7 / April 30, 2009 3:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

Sure. Call ATT and tell them you are not longer using your iPhone and you will probably use one of your old GSM phones to save $$. Unless their policy has changed with the advent of the 3G model, that should allow you to remove the iPhone data plan and use a different one w/ your Fuze. Here's the rub though- the Fuze is an ATT issued PDA phone, so they might try to add a data plan based on its IMEI. YMMV. For this reason, ideally you could throw your current SIM in a separate 'dumb' phone (not the Fuze) for a few weeks. That would give you the opportunity to add a $15 or $20 data plan if needed in the future via OLAM, and they wouldn't be able to tack on a PDA data plan since you weren't using a smart phone.

-Pedro

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?