Samsung forum

Question

HT-F5500W Dopuble Mute (Latest firmware 1015).

by Bruce_Andrews / April 19, 2014 5:20 AM PDT

Consider the following scenario:

(1) You are watching TV and listening to the sound over your HT-F5500W.
(2) You mute the sound.
(3) The sound does not mute.
(4) You mute the sound a second time.
(5) The sound mutes properly.

If you again un-mute and re-mute it works just as you would expect. It seems to require a "long delay" for the above scenario to occur. If there is only a minute or so delay the mute works as you would expect (i. e. singe mute). The double mute only occurs after a "long delay"

Question:

(1) Do other people observe the same effect?
(2) Is there a way to disable this "feature"?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HT-F5500W Dopuble Mute (Latest firmware 1015).
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HT-F5500W Dopuble Mute (Latest firmware 1015).
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Always report those bugs.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2014 7:12 AM PDT

I didn't check the model's firmware at the samsung web site because that's not a full model number. Sorry but I don't want to get it wrong.

I'd pick up the phone to 1800SAMSUNG and ask when a fix will arrive.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks - I appreciate that
by Bruce_Andrews / April 20, 2014 12:42 PM PDT

I checked the web site. They list a 1015.2 - I have no idea about the ".2" but my unit reports it has 1015 so I assume it is the latest (also the unit itself says it has the latest when I try and manually update).

A clarification though.

I am muting via my Harmony to the HT - that is what is requiring the double mute. With a little more experimentation I find that it might be better to do mute and volume control THRU THE TV. I have a Samsung UN75F6300AF that communicates quite well with the HT.

When I mute thru the TV - a single mute works just fine. It is only the mute via the HT that has the problem.

So it seems counter intuitive that the SYSTEM seems to prefer everything to come thru the TV and not go direct to the HT. OK - I can live with that!

But - do other people see the double mute requirement when directly muting the HT? If so I will file a bug with Samsung.

Or do I just have a weird HT?

Collapse -
Now that I can offer a little about.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 20, 2014 1:11 PM PDT

1015 is not 1015.2. When you call, be sure to have them reveal how to show the full firmware version but they always have folk update before they take it as a bug.
Bob

Collapse -
CEC Issue
by Bruce_Andrews / April 25, 2014 4:22 AM PDT

Update:

1015.2 is 1015 - the firmware on the HTs seem to always have some following decimal - but they release them without that distinction.

After lots of back and forth with Samsung support they agree that is seems to be some sort of obscure problem with the CEC interaction.

Briefly the following are required to show the problem.

(1) STB to TV via HMDI. TV to HT via HMDI on ARC channel (audio goes from STB to TV to HT).
(2) Some time has to pass (that is between commercials that you want to mute).
(3) The mute command is sent to the HT (NOT the TV). Typically via the HT remote.

In this case it requires TWO mute commands before it will mute. This ALWAYS happens no matter how close you are to the HT (> 50 trys).

A Harmony remote (programmed with the HT mute) or the HT remote cause this situation.

What finally had Samsung convinced is that I completely disconnected the HT from the TV and tuned it to an FM station on the HT radio. A single mute works just fine there (at least to a 10 min and a 20 min try).

Of course I have long since moved beyond this - I have a Harmony remote that I programed to send the volume and mute commands to the TV - and not the HT. CEC works great with Samsung (unlike my previous Sony combination).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?