Samsung forum

Question

HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please help

I am having problems with my E5400 Blu-ray player randomly switching inputs. It does it if I am trying to watch Netflix through the Smart Hub on the player or if I am watching TV through the HD receiver connected to the blu-ray player. It typically always switches to several different inputs and the ends on the HDMI2 input-- which I am not using.

I have the HTS-E5400 5.1 Smart Channel Home Theatre System with Blu-Ray player Model Code HT-E5400/ZA. This is connected by an HDMI input with a model # H24-200 HD receiver from Directv. Finally, the blu-ray player is connected by HDMI output to an Epson H475a HD LCD projector.

What can I do to fix this problem, if anything?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please

In reply to: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please help

Collapse -
No luck

In reply to: Re: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please

I tried the hard reset as you suggested and went through the process of set up and updating. I then got on Netflix and with a couple of minutes it started doing this again. It then takes me 3 minutes to reload Netflix and the movie only for it to switch back in 30 seconds.

Is there anything else you suggest??

I have recommended this particular equipment to 4-5 other people and I'm seriously worried not only that its a complete wash on mine but that it might act up for the other people as well.

Collapse -
Even worse now, unfortunately

In reply to: Re: HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please

Since trying the hard reset a couple of times and updating the software it now won't even allow me to get into Netflix. Also, it does the same thing even when I am in the settings menu.

Collapse -
While you had best let Sam fix it.

In reply to: Even worse now, unfortunately

Did you try the old Konami code on Netflix?

And no, I can't answer why they did that rather but put it into a menu item.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
" ends on the HDMI2 input " is my clue.

Most Samsung TVs have HDMI2 as the port with the control signals. Move the HDMI cable from where ever it is to the TV's HDMI2.

And yes, there have been clients that yell and scream that's a flaw but I'm not here to debate anything but to write there's a clue here. Let's use it.
Bob

Collapse -
No luck there either

In reply to: " ends on the HDMI2 input " is my clue.

Thanks for the advice but that didn't do it either. Now it's ending on AUX input or Digital In. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Ouch.

In reply to: No luck there either

Back to Samsung on this one. I've seen the HDMI2 issue before and have a little hope. Sorry it didn't help this time.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: No luck there either

In reply to: No luck there either

Collapse -
Random input changes

In reply to: Re: No luck there either

I have the same issue you did and tried all the options listed above and still had no luck.

Collapse -
reset did not work

In reply to: Re: No luck there either

thanks for the advice but my issue was just the same as the others and the fix was to disconnect the ribbon cable going to the touch screen, worked like a charm and I didn't have to pay for samsung to fix a product. I love Samsung products, but they certainly aren't flawless apparently.

Collapse -
Answer
Disconnect the touch screen

I also have an HT-E5400 that has been switching inputs randomly for the past few months. About a week ago, it dawned on me that the [F] icon on the front of the unit would blink every time it switched in the same way that it blinks if you touch it. However, the icon does NOT blink when you use the remote. That led me to think that the problem must lie with the touch screen itself.

After a bit of digging, I found a thread on another forum where someone mentioned that they were able to 'fix' it by disconnecting the touch screen, so I decided to open mine up & try to follow suit. After all of about 10 minutes, I had located and unplugged the cable connecting the touch screen to the front circuit board, reassembled, and was happily watching a DVD with NO random input switching! Obviously, my touch screen no longer works, but the unit has been otherwise working flawlessly ever since! Grin

If yours is behaving similarly (ie, [F] blinking when it's randomly changing inputs) and you want to try it, here's the process that I used to disconnect my touch screen.

DISCLAIMER: this will definitely void your warranty:

Remove the screws along the back of the unit & slide off the top cover, then unplug the white ribbon cable (by gently pulling up on the blue plastic bit to un-seat it) running between the front of the box to the main circuit board, then unscrew and detach the front of the unit, unscrew the front board, then flip that board over to reveal the ribbon cable connection. From there, you just have to release the small black retaining clip, unplug the cable, and re-assemble.

Collapse -
Disconnecting the touch screen seemed to work for me

In reply to: Disconnect the touch screen

It has only been an hour, but disconnecting the touch screen seems to have worked. At least it didn't damage anything. My unit did not have any screws to remove the front section, just about 6 tabs. Then I unscrewed the front circuit board, but I didn't need to do it. There is a white tab in the center with a thin cable tape that goes out and connects to the touch screen. I took a picture and posted it here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ken_mayer/14283368374/
The white tab in the center, on the right top side of the black notch is where the touchscreen cable had been connected. I accidentally tore it while removing and examining the circuit board. You do *not* need to unscrew the circuit board, but it was hard for me to determine what I was trying to disconnect until I did. I do not recommend unscrewing the circuit board, but after you do so, the thin band leading to the white tab is the only thing connecting the circuit board to the front unit. Here's another thread where people discovered the same fix
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1481206/help-samsung-ht-e5500-keeps-changing-source

Collapse -
Good find.

In reply to: Disconnecting the touch screen seemed to work for me

Just last week a touch screen here went wonky. Areas didn't work or would fire on their own.

Fix? I thought about it and saw a smudge on the screen. Power was removed and the screen/touch area was given a good cleaning. While not the model here, the problem was cured for the time being.
Bob

Collapse -
Still working, problem solved

It is about a week later, and I've logged about four or five hours without incident, so the fix seems to work.

Collapse -
Disconnecting Touch Screen on Samsung BlueRay E5500 worked!

I have the Samsung HT-E5500 and after Samsung forced a software update, the player kept randomly switching inputs. I went to Samsung's chat room and did all they said - restart, power down 60 seconds, reinitialize, etc. but it kept randomly changing inputs. Then I read that someone with the same problem noticed the touch panel seemed to react to something without the remote (it flashes twice when it changes input when you touch the panel.) The remote also flashes the Input selector on the panel. They surmised, maybe you can disconnect the panel. I followed this post, removed 6 screws in the back (unplug the unit), pull out the front panel by popping off the tabs (3 under the unit, 2 on the sides and 4 on the top) and found the little cable going to the touch screen. I removed it and problem solved. You can't use the front panel to operate the unit, but I never used it anyway. BTW, I had a similar problem with an LG TV that had a touch screen on the side. It started randomly changing inputs so I took of the back of the TV and removed the cable that went to the controller on the side of the TV and fixed the problem Must be common with touch screens...

Collapse -
Touch screen question.

In reply to: Disconnecting Touch Screen on Samsung BlueRay E5500 worked!

Can anyone who has disabled the touch screen tell me if they lose any functionality? Does the screen just display black as if the unit isn't on, or does it still display status even though touching the screen doesn't do anything? I presume you don't have problems inserting or ejecting disks using the remote? I'm having the same input switching problem and am wary of opening up the unit myself.

Collapse -
Touch Screen Failure

In reply to: Touch screen question.

I lost all functions and I even watched it with the cover off. I then proceeded to plug the front panel back in and it came back to life but kept randomly changing sources as I stared at it.

Collapse -
Problem solved, Thank you

Thank you Sir for your solution, I have been having the same issue for some time and it was very annoying, I did exactly as you said and my HT5400 is now working great, thanks again.

Collapse -
Worked perfectly.

I disconnected my touch panel and it's been working for two months now without any input changes, I used the YouTube video as a guide. It used to change every few minutes.

Collapse -
Same issue with random input changes

Removing the small ribbon cable worked for me as well. Thank you! This has been driving me nuts for years. Samsung really should put out a software patch.

Collapse -
Same here

I realize this post is old but it looks like I need to try this remedy as I have the same system with the same problem. It's very annoying. It definitely has to be a defect. I hope it works.

Thanks in advance for the fix!

Collapse -
Since it's new and defective.

In reply to: Same here

Just go back and get another model.

Collapse -
Mark!

In reply to: Same here

It was an easy fix thanks to Annapolis Ken. If you read above he gives a picture of it http://www.flickr.com/photos/ken_mayer/14283368374/ along with this forum thread http://www.avsforum.com/forum/109-home-theater-box/1481206-help-samsung-ht-e5500-keeps-changing-source.html. I did mine last night took about ten minutes and the problem has gone away and the front panel display still lights up, it just doesn't respond to touching it, but in the 4-5 years I've had the thing I think I used the touch like twice, hope this works for you.

Collapse -
Update

Just an FYI, I never even had to remove the front display. I simply removed the cover, and with needle nose pliers, disconnected the ribbon.

Put it back together. FIXED!

Super stoked as I was contemplating making a purchase on a new box. Football season is here and surround sound is a must.

Thanks to all here for their suggestions. Hope mine helps someone as well.

As a side note, I hop Samsung electronics does something about this.

Collapse -
Answer
HT-E5400 BluRay player randomly switches inputs, please help

i dont know if this will help you or anyone else that searches for answers but i noticed that when i was on the pc opening web pages that input on bluray was switching i decided that maybe the issue somehow had something to due with wireless so i decided to manually enter my ip dns and GATEWAY so that bluray would have permanent ip on my home network and that seem to resolve the issue. This was after doing factory reset 3 times both thru the menu as well as hard reset. also tried tweaking all settings and nothing seemed to work i bought this item refurbished and started having probs same day i setup up the system.

Collapse -
Answer
Thank you geniuses! And Thanks again.

I was ready to scrap it in the annual electronics dump thanks to my son that found you fine people.Modern electronics is not my bag. sounds like it is some of you peoples palm. Thanks again.. I think I am fixed.....back to hearing my programs with sound clarity

Collapse -
THANK YOU!

In reply to: Thank you geniuses! And Thanks again.

The 1st time it happened to me, I sent it into Squaretrade and they replaced the front touch panel. After my Squaretrade warranty ran out, it happened again. I bought a new Blu-ray player and hoped to at least use the Samsung speakers. Watching the 1st Blu-ray, the input changed again automatically. Searched for the problem and found you. Annapolis Ken, that picture you put out there solved the problem for me. So easy to dis-connect the touch panel! The touch panel for this system is defective. I wonder how many others discarded this system because of this problem? Should be a recall like cars!

Collapse -
E-5500W mood swings

In reply to: THANK YOU!

I am now having this problem. It is interesting that VUDU doesn't seem to flake. Not sure about rest of hub. DVD and optical in are on the merry go round. When I get finally and fully pissed I will pull that panel plug.
Collapse -
Does not work with front panel unplugged

In reply to: THANK YOU!

I unplugged the front panel and nothing worked at all. I then proceeded to make sure the unit was plugged in and watched it as I played with the remote. I then proceeded to plug the front panel back in then plug the entire unit back into the wall and it started functioning again. I did most of this with the cover off and watched the unit while it was plugged in.

Has anyone had this problem of it not working when the front panel plug is unplugged?
Collapse -
touch panel problem on SamSung HT-E5500W Blu-Ray Player

In reply to: Does not work with front panel unplugged

For all you people having problems with HT-E5500w Blu-ray players switching source all the time, the problem is not the actual touch screen so you do not have to disconnect it the problem is the between the panel and front plates there is no seal an this allows dust to get through and ecstatically adheres to the back of the touch panel giving it the appearance that some one is touching the screen all the time. To fix the problem just dis-mantel the front panel and wipe the back of the touch panel put it back together and it works for another 6 - 12 months depending how dusty the area that the player is placed in.

The touch panel is directly on the perspex screen attached to the front panel to get to it remove the front panel from the player inside the front panel you will see a circuit board remove this from the front panel being careful to remove the ribbon cable attached to it as this is the cable for the touch screen, once you have removed this board you will see a film stuck on the perspex screen in the panel where the ribbon cable runs to this is where the dust add hears to lightly wipe it so you do not scratch it and put it back together job done for another few mounths

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.