General discussion

HT-DS400, what kind of optical cable is it?

What sort of connector is on the Optical input on Samsung HT-DS400 Amp / Home Theatre ? This is an older model.

I know it isn't standard TOSLINK, because I tried that. The TOSLINK cable physically doesn't fit. I also tried carving a bit of plastic away from one end of the TOSLINK cable and that didn't help. The Samsung user manual for the HT-DS400 is coy about the nature of the port, simply calling it an optical port.

Thanks for reading this, even if you don't know the answer!

My subsidiary question is, if I am able to get the right optical cable, will it work with my WD TV box, which has a TOSLINK output? In particular to get sound from .mkv files. I think the acronym is something like DTS.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HT-DS400, what kind of optical cable is it?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HT-DS400, what kind of optical cable is it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

jbellies,

Unfortunately, I only see the QuickStart guide in Korean, and the user manual in Spanish. Even with a little translation, it's difficult to know which cable is necessary. I didn't see a separate part available online at Samsungparts.com either.

--HDTech

- Collapse -

Thanks, Samsung_HD_Tech. My reading of the Samsung literature in English and visit to a Samsung store were equally uninformative. I also phoned Samsung here in Canada, and they said the store might know....

So, Samsung "imagine the possibilties" doesn't know. What is the next step? I could take a photo, but don't imagine that would be very informative, as the working part of an optical interface is hidden. What optical, TOSLINK-capable cable ends has Samsung *ever* used? Is there somebody deeper in the Samsung organization who might know?

- Collapse -

CNET Forums

Forum Info