Samsung forum

General discussion

HT-C6900W Annoyance

by emarducks / December 13, 2010 6:13 AM PST

I recently purchased the HT-C6900W along with a Samsung 8000 series 3D/LED/LCD television. I connected my cable set top box to the HT's HDMI Input 1 and the television HDMI Input 1 to the HT's HDMI Out. (As described on page 24 of the user manual).

When I turn on all three components (with my set top box programmable remote) the television remembers that input 1 was last selected however the HT-C6900W resets back to "D-In" after briefly displaying "HDMI.IN1". I must then grab the HT remote and select the correct source "HDMI.IN1" to view content from my set top box.

Is there some rational explanation for why Samsung chose to set the HT-C6900W to operate this way?

It seems utterly ridiculous to me that any device defaults to anything other than the last input used. It also seems equally ridiculous that "D-In" would have a higher precedence than "HDMI" in a system designed to support multiple A/V inputs. I can't imagine anyone who would buy a home theater in a box system (today) and not expect that HDMI would be the rule instead of the exception.

I would also expect that when a manufacturer (Samsung) develops products intended to work together (3D Home Theater Systems and Televisions) that this situation is avoided.

In my opinion, if the system can't be reprogrammed to default to the last used input, then the input order should be either configurable through the setup menu, or possibly the order could be HDMI.IN1 -> BD/DVD -> HDMI.IN2 ->, etc.

I don't believe that connecting an extra cable (Digital) between the set top box and the HT-C6900W and using 2 inputs on the television (one for the HT, one for the set top box) is a preferred solution.

If Samsung is watching this forum and if this is correctable via a software update, please consider a resolution. Other than this annoyance I am very pleased with the performance of both the television and the homt theater.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HT-C6900W Annoyance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HT-C6900W Annoyance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HT-C6900W Annoyance
by mturi / December 27, 2010 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: HT-C6900W Annoyance

I am having the same frustrating problem. VERY ANNOYING!

Collapse -
HT-C6900W Annoyance
by mturi / December 27, 2010 1:47 PM PST

I spoke with Samsung Support and was told to disable the ANYNET feature. I did this on my Samsung TV and on my C6900w and it now works correctly. Every time I power on, it defaults to HDMI-IN1 as it should. I did have trouble getting my cable remote to work the tv volume through the c6900w but managed to find a way to control the volume lock feature on the cable remote and everything works much better now. I was very close to giving up and returning the c6900w out of complete frustration but now I will give it a few more days to see how everything else works. Good-Luck!

Collapse -
yep
by emarducks / December 29, 2010 8:11 AM PST

I finally figured out the same resolution after reviewing a couple of other threads.

at this point I am happy with the components, but like almost any piece of electronic gadgetry, I am somewhat annoyed by the content and accuracy of both the manuals and the ability of tech support to deal with these types of issues.

Apparently the issue with Anynet + is that when enabled on the home theater system it wants to communicate with the cable or satellite set top box. If the STB doesn't respond then it resets to digital.

I genuinely can't fault Samsung for the functioning of Anynet, and if less than 1% of the users are affected by this issue then I can't even gripe about the tech data or support. However, if this issue is more than 1%, then maybe a note in the tech data or on their product support FAQ would be worthwhile.

Collapse -
yep
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 29, 2010 1:08 PM PST
In reply to: yep

emarducks,

I appreciate you posting that. I'll be happy to make a report and send it to the appropriate department.

That said, I've had other requests regarding this, and I'm not sure if it's something that can be corrected. I'll note it as an issue, and filter it through one of our experts to see if it's something that can and/or will be addressed or not.

I am reading the forums daily. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution, but wanted to assure you that I was following this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks for taking the time to read the posts.
by emarducks / December 30, 2010 4:47 AM PST
In reply to: yep

Things used to be so simple when televisions had a single antenna connection, then came UHF, and VCR's, etc.

Seems the more options that are available just make some things too complex.

The industry I work in isn't perfect either, it is difficult to justify resources to correct every discrepancy. Thanks for paying attention, hope this information helps.

Collapse -
What type of remote do you have?
by 101mph / December 29, 2010 12:02 PM PST

I am experiencing the same frustration with our cable remote (Comcast Motorola HD remote). All I want to do is control the volume of the system with one remote (the cable remote), but I have to use the Samsung remote to do this and have to keep 2 remote around all the time.

I was wondering if you have the same type of remote - how you got around this problem?

Collapse -
Type of Remote
by emarducks / December 30, 2010 4:36 AM PST

The remote came with the set top box from Verizon.Its a model RC144 5302/00B.

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/Philips%20RC1445302%20User%20Guide.pdf

I basically followed the directions in the guide to locate the appropriate codes for the TV and Home Theater.

My parents have comcast, and had to use two remotes as well. It seems that the STB remote they have from Comcast is not capable of controlling the home theater at all. I cabled their equipment using the alternative that Samsung recommends (two HDMI cables) and connected their STB to the Home Theater via the Digital Optical line. In their case the Anynet feature works fine because the audio from the STB to the HT is digital via the optical connection. They can control everything from the single remote except powering on the HT. I considered getting them a programmable remote and setting it all up on a smart remote, but they seemed happy with the way it worked in the end.

Collapse -
Thanks
by 101mph / January 6, 2011 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Type of Remote

Yes I was eventually able to get the Comcast remote to control the volume also by turning on the Anynet feature.

Thanks for the tip.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?