Samsung forum

Question

HT-C 6500, internet issues

by Papa-Goose / September 2, 2011 10:12 PM PDT

I have my C6500, set up on the wireless network, and run a network check which ticked all boxes and says it's working normally. it's downloaded and installed updates so is running the latest software. Apps are installed.... Great. However, the connection speed is showing as 0, despite me having a 50 meg cable connection, so it won't actually open You tube for example... ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HT-C 6500, internet issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HT-C 6500, internet issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) Most common? The firewall in the router is on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 4:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
Firewall?
by Papa-Goose / September 3, 2011 7:34 AM PDT

Thanks for that answer. Would the firewall not effect the Samsungs ability to connect/download etc as well, I thought the firewall would block everything and prevent it connecting full stop? If I disable the firewall in the router would that not leave my network exposed?

Collapse -
No and no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2011 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Firewall?

It's a sad turn of events where a new feature that didn't exist before and doesn't need to be there has consumers wanting it but no one willing to explain how networking works and how the routers that are in there are a natural firewall.

Sorry but it's all well discussed and since I type all my replies let's let the makers explain themselves.
Bob

Collapse -
know all
by Papa-Goose / September 3, 2011 6:06 PM PDT
In reply to: No and no.

Very true, and sadder when people who don't know ask for help, and people that do know pontificate. These forums are for help and assistance not you lording your knowledge. When I googled the problem nothing came up, so to save you the strain of re-typing perhaps, you could point me in the direction of one of these well discussed links.

Collapse -
The advice is to turn it off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 4, 2011 1:40 AM PDT
In reply to: know all

If you call Samsung they say to turn it off.

If YOU don't want to learn everything about routers, and how a router had and still does have a firewall when we turn it off this is YOUR CHOICE.

It seems you are demanding I teach this in a personal reply to you.

I apologize and ask that you understand that since I type my replies this is not possible. I will share the settings and give the short versions. If you need more, it's likely you have to invest the time or better yet, DEMAND THE MAKER TELL YOU ALL THIS.

--> It is not pontificating, it's a limit I have to impose since all this is volunteer. I really want your stuff to work.
Bob

Collapse -
moving fwd
by Papa-Goose / September 4, 2011 11:36 PM PDT

Whilst I appreciate the time anyone takes to volunteer to help on a forum, I do it on a general expat' forum here in CH, so I understand how wearing it is when people ask the same questions repeatedly and are to lazy to research a topic themselves.

Collapse -
Start with the router firewall off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2011 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: moving fwd

I can't know if we need to explore other options until the most common setting that blocks this is changed.

There is an issue NOW with internet@TV as we read the servers are down. So that will create calls for help. We also know that in some countries it doesn't work at all. If it's a country issue you have to ask Samsung in your country since they don't put that information out for us.

If you want a better internet experience I suggest devices that are more like a PC. For example a Logitech Revue is 99 USD and its browser does not depend on a maker's site being up.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.