HolidayBuyer's Guide

TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

HT B&W 685 s2 / Sonos / soundbar

by deltre / September 5, 2016 12:59 AM PDT

Currently I have an old Home Theater system: Harman & Kardon AVR 235 with JBL SCS200.5 satellite speakers. In the past I had a stereo 3-way speaker system with separated audio components: Yamaha AV730, Pioneer CT676 tape deck, Sony CD and I.Q. LK 3 speakers ( I came for a couple B&W is sale but they where sold out, I was 15y, newspaper job, saved money...)

My Problem:
1. Every time I use the system I have to hook up my rear speakers.
2. I also like to listen to, good quality sound, music (stereo).

My living room is 6x7,5m with an open kitchen, the actual sitting area is about 4 x 5. So behind my bench there 2m open space.

I want to bye a new system but I am very in doubt what to do.
- First I like to watch movies, with great sound. And secondly I like to put up some music with also good quality sound.

So to solve the rear-speakers problem I put my mind on the Philips Fidelio E5, years ago. But than I heard about the Sonos and the Denon Heos.
So one day I listen to the sound of these last 2 in the shop but I found them sound less than my current system. So that's why I put my mind (back) on the B&W 685 s2. With a new amp it could sound great again. They are small, so less worries with my wife,

But if I want to have HT I have to bye the sub (B&W ASW610), rear B&W 686 s2 and centre B&W HTM62 S2. And the new problem occurs. "big" rear speakers. I don not matter, but my wife does Sad
And it will coat me a lot of more money to spend Sad

And what amp, stereo, AV. Prefer around 500,- (euro).

So any good suggestions?
Setup? hardware?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HT B&W 685 s2 / Sonos / soundbar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HT B&W 685 s2 / Sonos / soundbar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
additional info
by deltre / September 5, 2016 1:28 AM PDT

Some additional info.
If there is an other great system you recommend I like to hear!
I also thought about a stereo amp with B&W and a separate sound bar.
Or a HT solution with the 685 front and some other in rear. I assume wireless in combination is a no-go because of delay.

Collapse -
Answer
and the winner is
by deltre / October 24, 2016 3:02 AM PDT

Well, not because the answers where devastating or helping. SadAngryPlain
But just for the those who has the same hope as I had to get some information around here from community users hereby the set it has become:

NAD T758, B&W 685 s2, B&W M-1, B&W ASW610, B&W HTM62 S2.

Collapse -
Sounds great to me! ;)
by Pepe7 / October 24, 2016 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: and the winner is

Sorry I missed your earlier post- I was in the process of moving into my new house(!) Wink

I would appreciate feedback on the NAD receiver you have- the whole idea of upgradable modules (their 'MDC' feature) is intriguing to me.

Enjoy!

Collapse -
change in decision
by deltre / November 7, 2016 8:55 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds great to me! ;)

Well Pepe7,

After being in much doubt I have decided to buy an other amplifier because the NAD is not compatible with 4k pass trhough. NAD sounded really good. But the missing 4K and a bit no streaming keep me away of making the final decision. What is to bad. NAD has a policy to keep there products clear of gimmicks, what I admire, but to keep products in this new digital world full of benefits in the way of listening and using music (and movies) they are walking behind in a world that is developing.

What I do know is they release there 4k module with Bluesound in a few months. And they will release a new NAD T758 (v2?) with these upgrades integrated. Unfortunately, the module will cost, in the Netherlands around 499,- and the new NAD T758 (v2?) will also be 500 euro more, from original price, 1699,- ? And that is over my budget.

So now I bought a Marantz 6010 I also listen too.
Because it's an older model it was more interesting in the total price overall.
It also has good reviews concerning the more complete Audyssey MultEQ. It has 4K pass through and streaming possibilities.

The delivery is this week, so I'm ready to rumble!

Collapse -
Wow- that Marantz even has dual HDMI output??!! ;)
by Pepe7 / November 7, 2016 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: change in decision

Now you are speaking my language!!

Keep us posted on your gear/system. I am trying to leverage as much input as possible before finally getting around to upgrading to a (proper, not kludge) 'whole home audio' solution.

cheers

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.