Computer Help forum

Question

hpdv6 metal piece out back

by matthewc98 / June 25, 2012 12:18 AM PDT

I have a hp dv6 pavilion and on the side with the fan a metal piece pops out when i shut the lid and it is slowly tearing at the plastic. there are already holes and i want to know if maybe a screw is lose or came off or what reply and ill provide pictures if i were to get it repaired how much might it cost thankyou

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hpdv6 metal piece out back
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hpdv6 metal piece out back
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Pictures are nice
by Willy / June 25, 2012 2:00 AM PDT

It would be nice if you took pix and offered a public link to them.

It would be obvious to state that shouldn't be right. Being a laptop everything is suppose to be in its place. Your result could be that something has broken and free movement when it shouldn't -OR- or a foreign object is lodged there. Again, being a laptop it pretty much suggests a tear down is required to see what its all about. That alone is not a low-cost option and the risks are still there should anything fall out of place or a more serious problem is discovered. At the same time a simple fix maybe at hand and decide what physical damage may or not be lived with. With laptops/notebooks many times the hinges are a weak point. The hinge is either broken or demoored from frame. the place it mounts is broken. If you're capable investigate the above. Otherwise, the talents of a repair shop are required. As for costs, they should provide a ballpark figure($75-150+) and litany of anything found afterwards to make the final repair excluding any S/H if sent. If this costs more than 50% or original cost of laptop, think new or replacement(new or old).

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
re: replacing
by matthewc98 / June 25, 2012 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Pictures are nice

I probably want to get a gaming desktop to host a minecraft server and keep this as my computer to do stuff on or do you think for maybe 300-500$ would buy me a computer capable of hosting a minecraft server and using it at the same time or should it be dedicated and still use the laptop.

Collapse -
Servers
by Willy / June 25, 2012 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: re: replacing

Most servers need not be the most powerful but they do need to be capable. Thus, when it comes to servers typically the areas to concern yourself with are connectivity, storage and ram. Anything else maybe a plus but even an older used PC will do. At the same time if this server becomes more than a server, then you deem what is necessary. I can't deal with ifs, ands or buts, they are always present, so when you have a clue to the server in question, go for it. As i already stated it doesn't have to be super-powerful one just capable. Many new models pretty much are capable. As for the laptop I remain with my assessment until any pix maybe provided.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Clarification Request
HP dv6
by Cheron_HP HP staff / July 13, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

Hi matthewc98,
I work for HP and I am interested in taking a look at the pictures of your machine. I am sorry you are experiencing these problems. If you would like me to review this further please email me your product and contact information to psgsocialmedia@hp.com. Please include in the subject line Attn: Veronica-Cnet.

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Collapse -
pictures
by matthewc98 / July 15, 2012 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: HP dv6
Collapse -
Looks like the usual failed hinge area.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2012 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: pictures

You can try to find parts or if like a few of our old horses, use epoxy to hold it together for another year.

Collapse -
Pictures
by Cheron_HP HP staff / July 17, 2012 3:13 AM PDT
In reply to: pictures

Hi matthewc98,

Thank you for posting the pictures. I would like to speak with you further regarding the hindge issue you are experiencing. Please email me your contact and product information to psgsocialmedia@hp.com. Please include Attn: Veronica-Cnet in the subject line.

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually I know this one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 4:11 AM PDT

It's a common laptop failure in the cheap models. Since it's not covered by warranty and the repair usually runs over a few hundred I suggest they shop around for a cheap replacement like today's http://www.geeks.com/one-day-deal/

That's about the same price as I see this costing at the service centers.

For my brother I took the unit apart and added more metal to extend the hinge up further then used epoxy to hold it all together. Then I put the laptop into a plastic bag, cut open the epoxy area and taped it so only the epoxy area was exposed for a quick paint job.

It lasted another 2 years so that's a fix in my book.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
In regards to the MineCraft server.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 4:17 AM PDT

"Don't do that."

It's your money and you need to keep it for your use. Why do this?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.