Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP6470Z RAM problem

by Al7 / February 16, 2004 12:52 AM PST

My HP6470Z refuses to recognize more than 192MB of RAM. I have tried all combinations of 4 Crucial 128 MB dimms and same problem. HP no help. Says send it in for repair. Anyone have ideas??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP6470Z RAM problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP6470Z RAM problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:HP6470Z RAM problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2004 1:16 AM PST
In reply to: HP6470Z RAM problem

1. Did you get it repaired?

2. Latest BIOS from
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/taskPageSelect.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion9404&pagetype=prodinfo&docparent=prodinfo

3. It only goes to 256M
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?reg=&plc=&lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppavilion9404&docName=bph04777&cat=prodinfo#P9_162

4. WHERE do you get the 192M reading?
Some take such from Windows and that can be flawed.

5. Try this test.
a. One 128M stick.
b. Does it give yoo 128M in either slot?

6. This is the KILLER ISSUE!
The limits due to the Intel 440Zx chipset: it isn?t possible to handle more than two double-faced memory benches at once, so the possible combinations are the following:

* 2 double-faced modules
* 1 module with double faces ? 2 single faced modules
* 3 single-faced modules

In short, you either still have the wrong memory or the motherboard is broken.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:HP6470Z RAM problem
by Al7 / February 17, 2004 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Re:HP6470Z RAM problem

Thanks Bob. I have 4 128 Mb dimms from Crucial. Two slots on the mb and I have tried the 4 dimms in all possible combinations, e.i. 1-2,1-3, 1-4, 2-2 and so on.the 192 reading shows up during boot while the ram is being tested. Also I got and installed PC Booster which has a ram monitor which show total ram and free ram. I haven't gone to HP Serviced Center as yet because while I'm upset at the ram not being available I get by without it. The book and the on line data I've found all say that 256 is max for this board. I contacted the online service and they had no answer except that my dimms were bad, but all 4 of in the same way????? Thanks again AL

Collapse -
Please respond to that one test...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 6:24 AM PST

Remember I asked that ONE STICK of 128M be tested in each slot. What happens?

If it shows up as 64 M in one slot, then that's the bad slot. I know the socket technology very well as I've used such in embedded designs for years. It's all too easy for a pin to be bent out of place. Once you find the bad socket, and IF it's a bent pin, then usually I find it under about a 20 power wide field microscrope.

Since replacing the socket even in a fine lab is time consuming, I've used a stout small needle nose pliers or a strong small forceps to fix the connection. Usually that's enough to toss it into service and I make a note in the equipment log so the next person knows about it.

Wish I had read you did the tests.

-------------------

As to the memory measurement you noted, ITS FLAWED since it's under Windows! You'll want to know what the BIOS REPORTS.

Any onboard Video can STEAL some RAM. I looked it up for your first reply if this was at issue and have now forgot. Do look it up if onboard video uses that memory.

Bob

Collapse -
Undone test
by Al7 / February 17, 2004 12:23 PM PST

how's that for good english....
I have not done the test you suggested - no good reason except that right now I'm all messed up in moving to a new residence. 'My work bench is in pieces and the house if full of boxes. Supposed to move Thursday but I'm getting bad vibes that it may not happen then. If I can I certainly will do that as it is a darned good test and I'm bent outa shape that I didn't do it while I was checking the dimms. Oh well I can always blame it on getting old Thanks again Bob and I WILL get back to you when I have a chance to do the test. May be sooner than I think, I can always clear off a table and work there Muchas Gracias as they say in this part of the country Al

Collapse -
Best of luck to you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2004 10:07 PM PST
In reply to: Undone test

Yes, it can get crazy during a move.

And I think you "get it" as to why that test may find what it could be. If not, it points to the motherboard again.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Best of luck to you.
by Al7 / February 21, 2004 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Best of luck to you.

Well, Bob, this is one of those times.....
I found a few spare minutes and decided to try to look at the sockets for the dimms. Did it with a loupe and a toothpick(a dentists tool, not a table one) and found nothing wrong, scraped and jiggled a little while looking but didn't really bend anything that I know of. Anyhow when I reluctantly put it back together again, LO and BEHOLD, I had 255 MB of ram showing every place I looked. BTW, I use BELARC Advisor as an information gatherer. It reports stuff that comes in useful now and then. Whatever happened I now have all the ram I think I should have and I have to give you credit for making me look where I hadn't before. That may or may not have been the problem but Thanks a million and have a good year. Al

Collapse -
Scraping and jiggling is a time honored repair method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2004 5:49 AM PST

You basically fixed a broken connection in the usual way. It's a well known issue that:

a. Contacts don't make contact.
b. Connectors don't connect.

You're the hero here and about all I did was point at the suspect area. THANK YOU for the report back,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?