Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Laptops forum

General discussion

HP ZD8000 No Power/Won't Start

by Nytestorm-001 / March 29, 2014 4:27 AM PDT

I know this is a old topic, but I have searched and searched for an answer for this problem and it still remains unsolved.. These systems, once running, will run for a long, long while. You ask HP and more than likely get no response at all. So, here goes... I have one of these systems (HP ZD8000) and it has no power. Just the little lightning symbol blinking 3 times. All the little things posted around the net has been tried more than once. Checked the power supply - Got another. Checked RAM - Got new RAM. Even changed the motherboard. Changed the processor as well. I know a great deal about systems and I cannot find out what is wrong with this thing. Any help would be appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP ZD8000 No Power/Won't Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP ZD8000 No Power/Won't Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Back then...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 29, 2014 9:08 AM PDT
http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-zd8000/ for reference.

Way back then HP had a few models that would not power up if the CMOS battery was too low or missing. Also a few won't power up with a missing or dead main battery.

Good luck, hope what I remember helps.
Bob
Collapse -
Have You...
by 1shado1 / March 30, 2014 1:03 AM PDT

...just recently acquired this laptop, or has it been on the fritz for a long time?

Collapse -
Fritz
by Nytestorm-001 / March 30, 2014 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Have You...

Had it for a while, would work on it... then leave it alone... been going on for a good year or so

Collapse -
Given the age
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2014 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Fritz

I would check the battery items I noted (I use a Volt meter) and then again it's about a decade old and electrolytic capacitors are past their service life so one check I'd do is to see if any had what techs call "dead shorts."
Bob

Collapse -
Understood
by Nytestorm-001 / March 31, 2014 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Given the age

I am going to get a new battery for this thing and see if that works. As I said earlier, I got a new motherboard for it. Just hoping that's what the problem is. Thanks for all your insight

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!