Computer Help forum

Question

HP Z230 & Z240 Hang up issue

Hi,
I am having system hang issue on HP Z230 & Z240 Workstations. Windows Application logs shows "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly." with Event ID 41, Task Category 63, and all BugCheckCode = 0x0. I captured HW tool logs and it shows that CPU utilization is not high and temperature is also in specified range. I ran HP diagnostics extensive tests to check Hardware issues (
1. Windows extended RAM test, as installed to disk
2. MemTest86 on RAM, run from external CDROM
3. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI, as installed to disk
4. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI 6.3 from external USB drive ), all passed.

When System hang happens, it looks like hard hang - interfaces (Keyboard, mouse and display) are not responding. Only way to recover from this hang is to reboot the system from the power switch. I am trying to find out what can cause this kind of hang and how can I verify it as well ? So could you please help me to resolve this issue ? What tools can help me to identify the root cause ? or what experiment ?

I am using windows 7 on my all systems, all has McAfee Antivirus.

Please help!!

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Z230 & Z240 Hang up issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Z230 & Z240 Hang up issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I can cause this on our last desktop. How?

In reply to: HP Z230 & Z240 Hang up issue

Since it's a desktop I can turn the power off at the switchbar so Windows doesn't get a chance to shutdown nicely and that error message might appear. This is not broken at all.

If your PC locks up, then this message might occur BUT you say you have to use the power switch. I'm running into folk that didn't know to PRESS AND HOLD the power on/off button for about 4 to 10 seconds and a good PC will power down. Then wait a second and we can power up.

Now about the hangs. I'd start with a deep cleaning. No, it may not be heat where heat is measured. PCs have lots of chips without temp sensors so go ahead and clean the insides (see YouTubes on how) and then leave the cover off. Power up and be sure all the fans work like new. Use a flashlight if too dim to see.

McAfee? Left that old horse behind years ago. Too many problems.

Collapse -
Continued..

In reply to: I can cause this on our last desktop. How?

Hi R.Proffitt,

I meant the same for power down and power up using PRESS AND HOLD the power on/off button for about 4 to 10 seconds and a good PC will power down. Then wait a second and we can power up. Sorry for using wrong wordings.

I am not sure whether cleaning will help because hang happened on brand new system after only 1 week..so I doubt that cleaning will help. I have few systems where hang up happened once after few weeks of installation and then no hang up happened for few months.

Do you recommend to remove McAfee ? Any other suggestion ?

Thank you!!

Collapse -
This changes my answer.

In reply to: Continued..

A new system means you are in warranty and don't need my help. Back to HP to make good on the machine to fix what's causing this.

As to McAfee, I'm using W10's own Defender with a few addons in the browsers for some defense. I don't open attachments or go to bad places so I'm years into this and don't install a commercial AV today.

Collapse -
Continued..

In reply to: This changes my answer.

Hi R.Proffitt,

yes, system is in warranty, but I did not get any helpful information from HP. So trying to get help from experts out here.

Thank you for your help!!

Collapse -
While I did run repair shops and more.

In reply to: Continued..

I'll share a lot of times we had to do the OS install over since the owner had winged it. That is they didn't follow the usual plan of updating the BIOS (many are downright afraid of this step) then the OS and then the drivers. Many think Microsoft's Driver Update works. We know better.

It's back to the maker's support sites for the drivers and in the order the maker tells us to.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
W7

In reply to: HP Z230 & Z240 Hang up issue

Did these machines come with w7 or is this something you installed?

Collapse -
I installed W7.

In reply to: W7

I installed W7.

Collapse -
W7

In reply to: I installed W7.

Did you install the latest bios and drivers to support w7?

Is this just install the OS and let it fly?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.