General discussion

HP WF-1907 Monitor

When I turn this monitor on its OK for about one minute then the screen goes black. If I turn it off again and turn it back on the same thing happens. I think it may be the bulb or some sort of circuit breaker but I have no tech info or schematic and I can't figure out how to get the housing apart-no screws or conector visible. Any help would be appreciated

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP WF-1907 Monitor
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP WF-1907 Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Monitor

First of all, did this just begin? Is it a new monitor you just acquired or had for some time?

Off hand it sounds like the starter board, but could be a back light issue. Aside from that,there could be other issues, like the monitor cable, graphics problem on PC, etc... hard to say at this point. I have a monitor that only works with standard VGA drivers, not with ATI or Nvidia cards and will go black in the same manner.

Did you try the monitor on another computer? Does the same thing happen? Have you tried booting into (safe mode) and see if it happens?

A bit of information, they don't typically come apart that easily and unless you are very careful, it's easy to damage something that may not be damaged currently. Likely it has some covered up screws or the outer cover is clipped together, either way, it can be a hassle and personally, I would wait until you try other troubleshooting steps.

- Collapse -
HP-WF-1901 Monitor

Thanks for the reply comicfan. Relative to your questions

1-The problem had been happening for a few weeks but it would just go off and come back on in a few seconds. I thought it was a connection problem. The monitor is about 4 years old.

2-I tried another monitor on this computer and it worked fine which proves out the connection loop. After sitting all night I tried the HP monitor on another computer and it worked. I put the HP monitor back on the original computer and it now works. Perhaps ther is some auto reset function going on relative to time. I just continue to use it and see what happens. If it occurs again I will advise. Thanks again. As I am finishing this post I notice that the HP monitor is flickering.

- Collapse -
Flicker

In my opinion, it's the back-light and\or starter board then. In most basic terms, the back-light is a fluorescent (cold-cathode fluorescent lamp)light. If you are familiar with how a fluorescent light flickers and may not come on at times or go off, then you understand your back-light. It's not the only type of back-light that is used but the most common. You can replace them, however, it's not always an easy task. I usually replace both the starter board and back-lights at the same time, not just due to the fact it may not be long before the other goes, but saves me from having to tear apart a monitor twice.

CNET Forums

Forum Info