Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HP wants me to have new Board Tattooed?

by jehale / November 22, 2005 2:47 AM PST

Had to replace Mainboard on HP Pavilion. Involved re-install of windows. I used one of my XP home disks, and used a windows XP product key from one of the other computers to complete the install since the Product key form the side of the HP was ''invalid''. Now I want to Activate windows with the correct Product Key which is "invalid". Tech calls reveal:

Microsoft tech says they don't support OEM windows. HP Tech told me to take the computer to a HP repair (like staples) and the new Mainboard would have to be
''Tattooed''. Then I could use the restore disk(with the OEM windows XP home) to reinstall with the HP key.

What is Tattooed? and can I do this myself?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP wants me to have new Board Tattooed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP wants me to have new Board Tattooed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ouch. You ran into the OEM agreements.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 3:08 AM PST

It's this simple. HP cut a deal with Microsoft for a low cost license for XP. To lock the license to the machine, the board is unique in some way that only HP boards are.

To fix this, replace it with the HP same board.

Nothing nefarious going on here, just how the licenses work.

Bob

Collapse -
"tatoo"
by jackintucson / November 22, 2005 3:18 AM PST

When HP tatoos a motherboard it ties that motherboard to the specific configuration of your HP as well as tie the XP CD that came with the system. In otherwords they're all married to each other. One won't work without the other. They want to "tatoo" the new motherboard so it will work with your system and CD. Google "HP motherboard tatoo" for more info.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Re: replace mainboard
by Tecumseh / November 22, 2005 10:15 AM PST

What new motherboard did you select? The reason I'm asking is that if you purchased a brand name board such as Asus I would mess with an OEM version of XP. I would spend the bucks for a new, full, retail version of XP and forget about HP and tattooing mobos.

It really steams me when you spend good money for a system you get held hostage by a OEM restore disk.

Collapse -
What's it worth?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:15 AM PST
In reply to: Re: replace mainboard

That OEM or HP supplied OS is heavily discounted.

Do we really need to pay full pop with the machine?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: What's it worth?
by Tecumseh / November 22, 2005 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: What's it worth?

That's why I asked him what MB he installed. I, personally, wouldn't install a piece of crap HP OEM version of XP on a hard drive attached to a high end Asus, MSI, Intel, etc. motherboard. If he got a replacement board from HP, then that's a whole other ball game, and a cheap OEM OS would certainly make sense.

Collapse -
I disagree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 9:03 PM PST
In reply to: Re: What's it worth?

I use the supplied OS for dedicated applications such as video surveillance and more. The OS appears to me to be no different than the full retail version but I don't pay for the priviledges of being able to move the OS to a new machine.

-> While it would make Microsoft more bucks, why would we tax everyone for the full benefits of the full retail product?

Bob

Collapse -
re: I disagree
by Tecumseh / November 23, 2005 1:20 AM PST
In reply to: I disagree.

That's certainly your privilege. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.