General discussion

HP USB Flash Key error

So I was troubleshooting a broken USB port on an ACER Aspire One netbook and I was using my USB flash drive to test the port...now the drive doesn't work at all...it shows up in Windows XP SP3 as a Removable Disk and if you try to open it it says "Please Insert a Disk". It doesnt show up in Computer at all in Windows 7 Ultimate x64. I also tried opening it in Ubuntu Lucid to see if it was just a Windows problem and it shows up there as a XXXXXXXX U1169CONTROLLER USB Device. It also shows up as that in the Windows Device Manager. Google just takes me to sites that are in Russian which is no help because I do not speak Russian. I have access to Windows XP Pro SP3 and Win7 Ultimate x64 as well as Ubuntu Lucid Lynx. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP USB Flash Key error
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP USB Flash Key error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: USB key error

I'd go into Disk Management (part of Windows) and see what it says. Assuming it isn't physically broken by that defective USB port, repartitioning and reformatting it should make it usable again.

You'll lose all data on it, of course. If fact, you already lost them. With USB-keys only used for temporary storage that shouldn't be an issue.

Kees

- Collapse -
USB Key Error

If you try and format it in disk management or Gparted it fails. Disk Management says "Please Insert Medium" and Gparted just says it failed.

- Collapse -
Since this is a HP USB Key

Did you try the HP USB format utility?

- Collapse -
Didnt know there was one.

No I actually didnt know HP had one all I found on the site was a manual...will have to look for it.

- Collapse -
didnt work

It returns an error saying to insert a disk in the drive...

- Collapse -
Then the last last hurrah.

CNET Forums

Forum Info