Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

HP updates is always running on startup

by gwingee / December 22, 2006 10:23 PM PST

I tried to click off it..but now I get the system config msg that I need to click normal startup or diag...but what it is set on is selective startup and to be honest I don't remember doing that...soooo...what do I do..I do NOT want HP updates constantly running..I have HP...windows xp sp2....also, another question...I see IE 7 is out..I still have 6..but I use Mozilla 99% of the time..should I bother to download the IE7???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP updates is always running on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP updates is always running on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Did you the disable button
by tomron / December 22, 2006 11:25 PM PST
Collapse -
I'm not an XP person but
by acoxon1274 / December 22, 2006 11:33 PM PST

I would try going to the HP site and do a search on how to disable that HP update program. If I were there I would find the file that is running this program, shut it down and rename its extension to .old (this has worked for me in win98se, it may not work in XP). Msconfig has a startup tab that can be used to turn off programs at startup, but I have found that some programs can turn themselves back on (when I find this to be the case I try changing the extension so that the file stops working).

As to IE7 I have not. I have XP on a laptop and have decided not to make the update to IE7 till more of the bugs are worked out. I have a friend whose Hp scanner software stopped working when they updated to IE7. So I'm waiting

Collapse -
HP Updates
by crazeebob2000 / December 23, 2006 6:35 AM PST

As for IE7,I have no use for another of Microsofts programs, and the HP thing always starting up, try this, you can disable about any thing from starting, and it's free. Starter is what you want, I pin mine to the start menu. http://codestuff.cjb.net/

Collapse -
Gwingee, Most Uninstall The HP Updates Utility..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 23, 2006 7:03 AM PST

It usually can be uninstalled from the Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs section.. HP Updates is NOT a required program.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Msconfig
by ronc151 / December 26, 2006 10:42 PM PST

You can go to start, run and then type Msconfig. That will show what programs are starting up. Go to Startup and uncheck the box for HP Updates. You will have to restart your computer. That should solve your problem. Good Luck..

Collapse -
Look at it this way...
by Willy / December 27, 2006 3:38 AM PST

No thought you have the "updates" portion set at "automatic", you can disable this feature. Look in the control panel portition, "automatic updates". At this time, many a user is getting the IE7 update plus some security ones as well. These are rather large updates, but for the most part is wise to accept. You may not use IE, but it is really necessary to get updates from HP and more importantly from MS update website as a must. Its troublesome at times but overall, just live with it, its for your benefit. To play it safe, do a "restore point" before actually do the installs.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Bravo, Willy! Right on the money! Let HP Update run!
by 09Bentley / December 31, 2006 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: Look at it this way...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?