Question

Hp tx 2000 laptop works fine on battery, but not on netpower

I have a very strange problem with my hp laptop. The laptop works fine on the battery, but as soon as I plug in the power it will shut down (power cut) within 10 seconds.

The adapter works, since the battery charges when the laptop is turned off. When I start the laptop on netpower though, it will power off within seconds. If I start the laptop on the battery it will work like new......................

The moment it shuts down does not matter, as soon as the adapter is plugged in it will shut down (during booting, also during operating...)
Does anybody know what this can mean? I hope somebody can help.

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Hp tx 2000 laptop works fine on battery, but not on netpower
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Hp tx 2000 laptop works fine on battery, but not on netpower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
It could be someone tinkered with the power settings.

I didn't read much detail so I have to try system restore to when it worked.

- Collapse -
System recovery did not work

I used system recovery Sad Still the same problem.

Computer works fine on battery

As soon as I plug in the power, the fan starts freaking out and within 4 seconds it shuts down

- Collapse -
Recovery or restore?

These mean different things. If you reinstalled the OS (recovery) and it fails this means there is a hardware error.

Since it runs on battery my thought is the charging circuit that changes over to AC and such is faulty. If that's on a board, swap that. If it's on the motherboard, swap that and retest.
Bob

- Collapse -
Restored to the factury state

Hi bob thanks again for the help. I think what I did was ''restore''. The operating system I used was windows 7, after I did the restore, all the programs were gone and now it runs on Vista.

Does that mean that a software problem is excluded? Or could it be a problem in the register...

What happens is really strange. For example I am using the laptop on battery and when I plug in the power it remains calm for 3 seconds. Than the fan gets really loud (though the air it blows is not hot at all) and 3 seconds after that the laptop powers off.

- Collapse -
You'll have to tell me what this register is.

And there are TWO NEW IDEAS given your reply.

1. The 3 seconds sounds like what I see when the CPU heat sink is not attached. At the top of this forum are sticky posts about disassembly and more. I'd invest ONE DOLLAR in heat sink compound and get inside.

2. If there is a "DEFAULTS" selection to the BIOS, please use that.
Bob

- Collapse -
thermal glew

Hi Bob,

I think you might be right. I just removed the old thermal paste from the processor. I have thermal glew, shal; I use that to put between the heat sink and the processor?

- Collapse -
Sorry.

I didn't get an answer to the "register" question and now I have to ask.

What is thermal glue?

Why would we use that over ONE DOLLAR's worth of heatsink compound?
Bob

- Collapse -
fixed

I bought heatsink compound (5 euro!) and the problem is fixed !!

(thermal glue is conducting glue)

Thanks

- Collapse -
Thanks for the update.

The reason we use a compound versus glue is that glue tends to be a permanent solution. It removes possible future repair options.

Thanks for the update.
Bob

CNET Forums