PC Hardware forum

Question

HP Touchsmart 310-1037 Black screen on startup

by edweather / March 19, 2015 6:38 AM PDT

When I press the power switch, the switch lights up, the fan wooshes, and I hear some clicking, but screen is black.

I've tried unplugging it and holding down the power switch, and then restarting. That worked a couple of times, but no more.

I tried the F5, F10 routine, and that didn't work.

I took the back off, and reset the RAM cards, and checked the battery, and no go.

I think this is a fairly common problem, and I've heard that it might be the motherboard, but I don't just want to buy a motherboard without knowing what the exact problem is.

I plan on contacting HP Support later, but in the mean time, does anybody know any further diagnostics to help me narrow down the problem? Thanks in advance. Ed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Touchsmart 310-1037 Black screen on startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Touchsmart 310-1037 Black screen on startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Tell me about that battery check.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 7:06 AM PDT

How many Volts did it read?

As to the motherboard, this is where service centers have it all over us. They can swap in a board and not take the wallet shrinkage.
Bob

Collapse -
voltage
by edweather / March 19, 2015 7:22 AM PDT

I used my multimeter, and it read 3.09 volts

Ed

Collapse -
For a CR2032 that's a pass.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: voltage
Collapse -
A little clarification please
by edweather / March 19, 2015 7:58 AM PDT

I'm not afraid to tear into a computer, but am basically a beginner at this stuff. Could you please explain it a little better. Are you saying to remove the Hard Disc Drive, and ODD (Optical Disc Drive??,) I don't know what that is but I think it might be the disc drive in the side. I removed that when I checked the battery to access screws, and remove one RAM stick and re-try.

When you say 'power supply' are you talking internal, or the external cord with the transformer?

I was also going to try another monitor via a usb to make sure it's not the screen.

Thanks for the link with the parts, it was helpful

Ed

Collapse -
Remove = unplug them and set aside.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2015 8:49 AM PDT

Those parts are not required to see if it's those or the mainboard/power supply.

The external cord and transformer is a full fledged power supply. Just out board rather inside as with a desktop.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok I'll try it.
by edweather / March 19, 2015 9:15 AM PDT

Will try later, am at work now. Ed

Collapse -
OK, I did it, and still black.
by edweather / March 20, 2015 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok I'll try it.

I removed the drives and one stick of RAM, and re-tried, and still the same thing.

Collapse -
Then the fault is in these last parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2015 2:11 AM PDT

Sorry it didn't fire up but looking around unless the mainboard is really cheap I would not fix this one.
Bob

Collapse -
Also tried re-seating the processor...
by edweather / March 20, 2015 2:22 AM PDT

...and I tested the output voltage on the power supply. It's supposed to be 18.5V and I got a steady 19.5V..........still black screen.

Collapse -
OK, thanks Rob.
by edweather / March 20, 2015 2:27 AM PDT

I'm not sure if this is cheap, but the motherboard for this one is $114. What do you think? Any chance it's a bad processor? I know they're cheap.

Collapse -
Rarely a bad CPU
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2015 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, thanks Rob.
Collapse -
OK, thanks.
by edweather / March 20, 2015 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Rarely a bad CPU

I definitely hear what you are saying.

It might be a tough repair like you say, and it still might not work.

The risk is small, only time and a little $, oh and I forgot a lot of frustration :-). I like a challenge.

Thanks for the links, we might be using them. Ed

Collapse -
Parting advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2015 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: OK, thanks.

Look for BAD CAPS on that old board (and new one?)

Google BAD CAPS to learn what to look for and why this happened. I've lost count of how many I've seen over the years.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
One more question
by edweather / March 20, 2015 3:28 AM PDT

First, thanks for all your help, and I don't want to over stay my welcome.

I will look for the bad caps.

One big issue is that my wife doesn't want to lose the hard drive. If we do get a new computer, can I just take the old hard drive and put it in a case and plug it in externally to the new computer.

Collapse -
Yes. That's the usual thing to do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2015 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: One more question

There are many such things out there today case wise.

Collapse -
I replaced the motherboard
by edweather / March 29, 2015 8:23 AM PDT

Rob, Did you realize that I was the one that started the more recent thread about losing Windows license after replacing the motherboard? It all worked out...motherboard replaced and Windows is now running smoothly. Ironically on the new motherboard 2 caps were a bit bent, so I straightened them a little and pressed them down. Fortunately they were flexible and didn't break and were undamaged. The caps on the old board were stiff, and just for the grins I tried to bend one of the old ones and it just snapped off. Thanks for all your help. Ed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!