General discussion

HP Total Care Advisor - Return laptop? What to buy instead?

I left this message on the PC Utilities Forum at the end of a message about some utilities. Afterwards realized I could use the input of many people in reaching my decision on whether or not to return my new HP dv9410us laptop 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD with Vista.

Please feel free to give advice and also tell me what laptop you would recommend in the same price range ($899-999 before adding MS Office Business or Professional w/Outlook).

My old laptop died due to a liquid spill. I rushed to a shop to have my data on the old hard drive rescued (it was). My new laptop, which was just whatever was new and in the shop and had a large enough screen and a large enough harddrive, is an HP - with the infamous HP Totaled "Care" Advisor (HP Total Care Advisor). From what I've read on CNET and other tech sites, HP has not come up with a fix for the problem code. My laptop has had mysterious crashes already. When I look back I think they happened when I was in Totaled "Care" Advisor doing something like a Health Check or whatever they call it, etc.

It seems to me I should take advantage of the store's 100 cash return policy with NO restock fee w/in 14 days to return this sick piece of plastic and code that would have had a recall declared if it were any other type of commodity than a computer - for example a car or a washing machine.

How is a person supposed to get automatic updates (or the automatic opportunity to turn them down) from the computer manufacturer - updates for graphics cards, drivers, certain pre-installed software, etc. if one has to disable and then remove this advisor program completely and permanently from the computer? Without this program (really a suite of programs) how is one supposed to run that health check...and the battery check...and communicate with HP tech people with ease, etc., etc. - one of the selling points of this machine, a selling point and piece of software which surely added on some bucks to the final price of this laptop?

So, I guess I'm asking for support in making the decision to return an otherwise nice machine in order to wait for two-four weeks to get another Dell (because I can't afford the Lenovo I want and the Acer in the same store the HP came from has a smaller screen and an 80 GB, not a 160GB HD).

It will be painful sending the HP back...but it is the right thing to do, right?

Any suggestions on what makes, models and configurations I should consider buying? Vista...or go back to XP?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP Total Care Advisor - Return laptop? What to buy instead?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP Total Care Advisor - Return laptop? What to buy instead?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Actually there is a fix but ...

The person who posted about spammed the forums, didn't provide any readable posts and offers the files via methods that can harbor trojans. So while there are known fixes to that issue at this point let HP offer the patch and stay away from downloads from rapidshare and such.

Another fix noted widely is to uninstall the Total Care Advisor.

Your choice on this but a fix is available.

Bob

- Collapse -
I'll call HP in the morning

Thanks, Bob, for assuring me that there are known fixes.

I'm not a newbie. I got my first PC and my first virus in February 1988 (infected software that had been tampered with and then reshrink-wrapped and sold to me). So I know better than to download suspect fixes from spurious sites, esp. when exe and rar files are all over the place with no clear explanation of why the process is so Rube Goldbergian. - Anyone who needs to look Rube Goldberg up in a dictionary may do so at this point! Happy

Anyway, thanks for the advice. I'll try the fix but get the Advisor out of my startup.

Alex

- Collapse -
(NT) bob let them see the link to give to HP
- Collapse -
You never gave such.

I keep seeing links to some file sharing site. This will not be allowed since the contents were not even know to you and the other reasons.

You've got the attention of all moderators so I'm not the only one cleaning off your posts. When you get it right, your post might stick.

Bob

- Collapse -
proseNNN post removed (again)

The link www.mediafire.com contains unverified content and other issues you were made aware of.

Such a post will now vanish without further notice by any moderator that finds them.

Bob

- Collapse -
NorthBeachnik - Locking thread.

Due to constant spam attempts (not by you) I have locked this discussion.

Email me if you have a problem with this.

Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info