Samsung forum

General discussion

HP-T5054 and HT-Z512T

by jcarithe / December 4, 2008 6:04 AM PST

First, let me say I love my 52" plasma and the great sound I get from the HTIB I chose. They work great together, and look fantastic in my gameroom. My question is, how can I get true surround from as many sources as possible? I have the receiver connected to the TV using HDMI, and an xbox 360 connected to the reciever using digital audio cable. So I shouldh have true surround for DVDs and video games (as well as Netflix streaming). But, my Dish network set-top box is connected to the TV using component cables (red/ green/ blue for video, red/ white for audio), and the TV audio out has to use red/ white cables to the receiver since it only has the one digital input. Is there any way to get true surround for both the satellite and the xbox? I also have a Wii, but that's mainly for the kids so not as much of an issue there.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP-T5054 and HT-Z512T
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP-T5054 and HT-Z512T
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks!
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 4, 2008 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: HP-T5054 and HT-Z512T

jcarithe,

Thanks for your kind words and glowing review.

If I'm not mistaken (without looking), I believe you have 3 HDMI inputs on the back of the television. (2 rear, 1 side)

Here's my best-case surround sound solution:

Solution one: If you have one optical input on your HTIB:

You are correct that running the Xbox through the receiver will get your video games, as well as HTIB movies and streaming in 5.1 with the audio cable. However, the HTIB may have limited optical inputs (like... one!) in which case, you've hit a wall when it comes to your Dish Satellite.

Solution two: Assuming you have one optical input, make the most of it by using the TV's HDMI inputs and optical audio out. The difference here is that everything else has to support HDMI. Which in your case, works.

HTIB - outputs picture via HDMI and supports its own audio.
Xbox - outputs HDMI video and audio, transfers audio via optical to HTIB
Dish - outputs HDMI (?) video and audio, transfers audio via optical to HTIB

Assuming your xbox and Dish have the ability to do HDMI, you could potentially hook up your wii directly to the HTIB, as the Wii supports Dolby Pro Logic II surround sound, but not HDMI.

If you can't/won't be able to get HDMI support for either the Xbox or Dish (you could always ask for an upgraded box in exchange for your patronage!) and have a component input left over, then you can plug one of those into the rear of the HTIB and then run the Wii via component on the television since it doesn't ship with HDMI (yet).

The key here is HDMI > Television > optical out on TV > optical in on HTIB.

This will allow you to get as many surround sound outputs for the connections you have.

Thoughts?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Good to know
by jcarithe / December 9, 2008 12:22 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

Thanks for your quick response, you're right, 3 HDMI input on TV and one Digital input on Receiver. Only issue is my XBOX is a few years old and doesn't output HDMI, only component. It's good to know, however, that as long as I get digital signal into the TV, and digital out from the TV to receiver, I can get true 5.1 surround. Maybe a PS3 in my future...

Collapse -
Suggestion for LN46A550P3F
by NeHeGL / January 7, 2009 6:52 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks!

This is exactly the setup I need to get working... I have a wii, BDP-1500, HTIB and LN46A550P3F. The HTIB is connected to the TV via HDMI, the BDP-1500 is connected to the tv via HDMI, the TV connects to the receiver using the single optical port. However, I do not get 5.1 from my BDP-1500. I can only get 5.1 if I connect the BDP-1500 directly to the HTIB. But if I do this, I can't connect my TV to the HTIB for regular programming (only one Optical input).

You are saying I should be able to get 5.1 by using HDMI to the TV and the optical out to the receiver... how come I do not?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!