HP forum

General discussion

HP PSC Hissing Noise

by FlyingPenguin / February 25, 2005 10:45 AM PST

I have an HP PSC 7210. As long as it is plugged in it seems to emit a hissing sound from the inside. The sound is faint (best heard in a quiet room, or if near the PSC) and it seems to originate from the inside of the unit.

Have other HP Printer/Scanner/Copier users experience a similar noise?

Any ideas on what causes this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP PSC Hissing Noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP PSC Hissing Noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hissing sound
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2005 1:36 AM PST
In reply to: HP PSC Hissing Noise

Does it have a fan? That would be my first guess. Power supplies can make some noise when one. Transformers will hum but can set up sympathetic tones. Was the noise always there? Fans will get noisier with age or dust accumulation.

Collapse -
Hissing Sound
by FlyingPenguin / February 26, 2005 5:18 AM PST
In reply to: Hissing sound

It?s doesn?t have a fan that I know of. The transformer brick is outside the printer and does not seem to be making any noise itself. Out of curiosity I went to a computer store today and listened carefully to a couple other similar machines. They ?hissed? too, so I guess I am not experiencing anything irregular. I am just curious as to what is causing this sound.

Collapse -
One other though
by Steven Haninger / February 26, 2005 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Hissing Sound

Does the device give audible warnings? If so, it probably has a piezo device. These are like speakers in a way. Speakers will emit "white noise" (hiss) from driver circuits when idle. Maybe that's what you hear.

Collapse -
Hissing Noise
by FlyingPenguin / February 26, 2005 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: One other though

That could be. It has fax capabilites and the speaker that goes along with that. That is a very helpful thought. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
possibly from a blackberry?
by h1pchek / February 10, 2009 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Hissing Noise

Is it very intermitent? like a buzz from the speaker?

if so, check to make sure you don't have a blackberry nearby. they are notorious for making buzzing sounds periodically in nearby speakers, usually needs to be within 5-10ft.

Mine was doing the same for two or three days until it dawned on me that i left my blackberry next to the printer. the printer has a fax line w a pc speaker so you can hear incoming calls and such. i don't even have a phone line plugged into it, but the speaker is still powered so it will hum every so often.

same goes for a lot of other speaker related items - tvs, phones, cell phones, toys, electronic dart boards (ever heard it at a bar?), etc.

hope this was helpful.

Collapse -
HP hissing
by Andrewlondon127 / January 13, 2009 10:01 AM PST

I just got an Hp Officejet Pro L 7780 and it is making a hissing noise from inside the unit. Sounds like an air leak.
When i turn the printer off it sounds more like a his. When unplugged it stops completely.

Really annoying.

Collapse -
Possible sources
by Willy / January 13, 2009 7:34 PM PST

Electronics do emit some noises/sounds when in a quiet room, others not so capable or noticable. Of course, the amount it does depends on the quality of the workmanship and/or electronics design. Cheaper(and simpler) units tend to make audible noise because their circuits weren't protected enough and/or too close to a speaker as someone offered. The speaker simply gives a path for noise to be heard. Other noises get emitted as they derived from poor design and not enough capacitors or proper circuits were involved. As you've noticed when you heard similar HP PSC do the same, it maybe more due to poor design or a patch of bad components. If you like report it and see what action they'll take. The more reports like that, eventually they'll correct the problem or try in the next series of PSC pay attention -OR- simply ignore you. Sad

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I have an HP L7680 and I have exactly the same sound
by mforou333344 / May 27, 2009 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Possible sources

I have an HP L7680 AIO printer and I have exactly the same hissing sound coming out of the speaker.

It is loudest when it is on, and it still makes a noise in standby mode.

The sound seems to be emanating from around the area where the power plugs into it, and not from where the speaker is. It is so loud that I am considering returning the printer.
Has anyone come up with a solution? I can see where there is a speaker, and have considerer clipping the wire, but I am not sure if that will completely break it.

Collapse -
Up to you...
by Willy / May 27, 2009 9:49 PM PDT

Since this is so new, return it for money back or start the warranty process. If a replacement is sent and sound is again present, ask for money back.

Either a transformer or capacitor is lousy make-up or the electronic design is overwhelmed. It happens but being so new, you have the chance to return, I would simply return it and be done with it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Start a new thread if you continue with problems
by Willy / May 28, 2009 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Up to you...

I mention this as I revisit the original thread, it was posted on 2/25/05, if you want more responses or hits on your topic. Then start a new one. good luck -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!