Hp probook 6550

by ChronosNigeria / June 5, 2017 10:08 AM PDT

Hello guys and girls,
I'm thinking about getting the hp probook 6550
CPU - Intel Core i5 450M / 2.4 GHz
Max Turbo Speed - 2.66 GHz
Number of Cores - Dual-Core
Installed ram Size - 4 GB

My main reason for getting it is music production. Will I experience latency issues when working with a midi piano in Ableton live?... Thank you in advance.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp probook 6550
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp probook 6550
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's used. Generations old.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2017 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp probook 6550

So all bets are off. I how you can at least get the RAM to dual channel and ditch the HDD for SSS, then it may be just OK.

What do you use now?
Also, ALL PCs will have some latency. I hear this question mostly on apps like yours. That gen i5 is OK for most but what do you use now?

Collapse -
Hp probook 6550
by ChronosNigeria / June 5, 2017 10:29 AM PDT

I just ditched my hp 635... The latency I was getting in Ableton live was too great to ignore.

Collapse -
That AMD E-350 1.6 GHz
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2017 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp probook 6550

Wasn't a very good performer. And 2GB RAM? there was so much coming up short that I didn't expect the 635 to deliver.

At least with this, with some minor updates you'll have a much better PC.

Collapse -
Hp probool 6550
by ChronosNigeria / June 5, 2017 10:54 AM PDT
In reply to: That AMD E-350 1.6 GHz

What little updates would I have to make

Collapse -
The ones in my first reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 5, 2017 10:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp probool 6550

I find some don't do their own work or expect top performance on old gear without such work.

If you take it stock, test it. The good news is there are areas you can upgrade.

Collapse -
Hp probook 6550
by ChronosNigeria / June 5, 2017 11:10 AM PDT

Alright thank you very much. You've been of great help to me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.