Question

HP ProBook 6360b

Hello,
Bought this laptop years ago from a dealer on ebay with W7 Pro on it, but never, ever used it. Upgraded it to W10 via a local pc guy privately. Sold it to a friend (at a big loss) he started using it but soon got the 0xc0000005 error code, which soon made the thing completely unusable by virtue of our attempts to correct that.
Neither of us wanted to go back to the pc guy, so I suggested wiping the hdd & installing the WW7 back onto it, updating that and then installing W10 free via link
I had successfully used already on ZedNet.
With the hdd in the laptop, it would not accept disk wipes like DBAN or Secure Erase owing to apparently requiring drivers for that laptop that presumably weren't on there by now.
So I removed hdd & wiped it externally vai my laptop with a usable wiper.
Then attempted to install the W7 from the disk i had used previously before the W10 was on there but again, it would not accept the installation owing to missing drivers.
I downloaded about 70 drivers from the HP site, onto a USB drive and inserted that when the OS installation requested it.
All I got was "drivers not found" ...
Getting close to the extremities of my pc knowledge, I imagine that perhaps the drivers aren't recognized because they are not "installed" onto the USB drive, only downloaded?
The problem there being I wasn't sure if they were "installed" on the USB drive whilst attached to my laptop, whether they would interfere with my laptop in any way (Lenovo Z380) ?
Ideally they would be installed while attached to the HP but this doesn't seem possible because without the OS installed, nothing can be achieved anyway.
Can anyone please kindly advise how I can get the HP functioning again, even if it's only the W7 for the time being?
Thanks

Discussion is locked

Answer
Follow
Reply to: HP ProBook 6360b
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP ProBook 6360b
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
what bit version of W7?

If 32 bit, and the drive is formatted as MSDOS/MBR, (not GPT) then on an UEFI capable computer, should set UEFI (Bios) to Legacy or CSM mode.

- Collapse -
Thanks James but

what does that mean in layman's terms?
It's a 64bit and I'm not tech enough to make head or tail of what you said. Sorry.
I've just learned what UEFI is but how that relates to what is achievable with the modest laptop I have as mentioned, I don't know.
Will check back tmrw, thank you.

- Collapse -
Answer
I'd try W10 again. Why?

I have 2 HP 6560b laptops at the office and did not have to find ANY driver for it to install and fully function on W10. One of those rare cases where Microsoft supplied all the needed drivers.

Also, Windows 7 and driver installation is still too advanced work for everyday users. I can't write a step by step because a) we don't have a single w7 machine left and b) it would mean, for many users they want much more than "install the drivers" which is now asking far too much of folk.

If the DBAN was done, I would boot my W10 from USB and install it.

As to the UEFI and such, DBAN would wipe the drive clean which is best for a new install. As to the BIOS we took the HP defaults. Did not change a single setting on the HP 6960b's here.

- Collapse -
We don't have W10

accessible to install unfortunately. Apart from the online method I mentioned, it was only achievable via the pc guy who wouldn't give us the Windows Key with it. He would input it if we went back to him for the install but for unrelated reasons, neither of us want to go back to him unless it's the only (cheap) option.
I should emphasize that if it was me, I wouldn't bother with all this, I'm only doing this because my friend is so incapable of dealing with it himself, and frustratingly unwilling to spend much on himself in this way.
He bought the machine from me for £150 (after it cost me about £360 without even using it over a few years) so, as well as wanting to hear the last of it, I feel obliged to help.
Regarding that particular hdd, I was only able to wipe it with a downloaded wiper (mini-tool disk wipe) via external sata cable. Because of the infuriating driver issue, it wouldn't accept DBAN in-situ.
Seems like a trip back to the pc guy might be necessary ... my friend has used him often and swears that every time he's brought any laptop back from him, there's always a problem of some sort, but short of buying W10 he might have to risk it (for free). The rub there is that the pc guy was trying to sell him "his" laptops but he bought mine Happy
Thanks Rob.

- Collapse -
Good news everyone.

I'm not joking.

1. The key. Windows 10 doesn't require a key if this version of Windows was installed and activated. The key is in the cloud and you never (almost never) have to provide it.

2. The Windows 10 installer is a free download that doesn't ask for a key unlike prior versions. Google "Windows 10 Media Creation Tool" to get your installer.

3. Even if you are not going to install W10 from there the W10 installer is a good repair tool to have around if you deal with a lot of PCs (like me.)

Also,

- Collapse -
Nice one Rob

That would explain in part, how and why sites like ZDNET can offer a free download that seems to work.
I'll see if I can D/L it to USB etc.
Cheers.?

- Collapse -
I have yet to download the Tool or W10 to USB.

I bet that's why so many struggle.

I run the Windows Media Creation Tool, answer where I want to create install media (I point it to the USB stick) and let it do the work.

At no time have I ever downloaded the Tool or W10 to USB.

- Collapse -
Good point,

will try that as soon as I've cleared a usb to use. thanks.

- Collapse -
W10 media tool

created nicely thank you. Should come in handy going forward.
Tried it after having enabled UEFI on target pc etc but still unable to succeed owing to GPT Format type on HDD so have removed it & formatted externally via diskmgmt on my pc & now waiting for it to finish a (long) format via windows menu for good measure (hopefully).
Will update result again later. Thanks

- Collapse -
I think I forgot to share the following.

Formatting a drive prior to installing Windows has derailed many installs.

For years I've only had to remove all the partitions on a drive which leaves it blank. Once in a while I'll have to give a drive the fastest shortest run of DBAN but FORMAT? Never.

If Windows won't remove the old partitions I have a bootable CD and USB with GPARTED. GPARTED is small, fast and easy to use. I didn't have to train any tech on its use.

- Collapse -
I have been aware of

GParted for a long time but never found a need for it, so far.
I only formatted because of previous poster advising to plus reading online that NTFS is the correct option.
That last attempt to install W10 showed it as being GPT (?).
My instinct is to just DBAN it too but that has been made awkward as it won't allow it in situ & I only have my laptop as an alternative.
I've ordered a caddy & screws on eBay which will help make a swap out easier, but will do the DBAN in mine if the format option doesn't work this evening.
I'll get a copy of GP too thanks .

- Collapse -
My 3 guns.

1. Windows. When I boot my Windows CD,DVD or USB I have for decades been able to prepare the drive. By prepare I mean DELETE the partitions on the target drive.

Then I can get a clean install.

2. GPARTED. If for some reason Windows doesn't want to do the work, I boot up GPARTED since it's a power tool of disk management.

3. DBAN. While I rarely have to use this I have run across drives is such sad shape that we would pull out the nuclear option of DBAN. I'll be clear that this is not used as much since today's clients DEMAND the PC not fail on them soon. If we suspect a HDD or such to be near death we will say so and 99% of the time the owner will opt for a new drive.

OK, 2 guns and the bomb.

- Collapse -
Good ol' DBAN

W10 installed successfully via the USB Media Creation Tool, so thank you very much for that very useful gem.

I've had minimal experience with W10 so still finding my way around but as I'm provisionally setting this up for the other guy, I wondered if you would advise please, which (free) anti-virus would you recommend to safely use & avoid possible technical hitches ?

I say "free" because I've never paid for it in all the 18 years I've been online, so hopefully won't have to start now that 7 is becoming unsupported.

Is Windows Defender adequate to protect a pc on its own or would you recommend others also. Malwarebytes etc? (I've used Avast Free for most of my years online).

This laptop was running 10 originally recently & for some unknown reason it produced that error code 0xc0000005 which started all this
time consuming problem solving.

I looked in the Programs folder from Control Panel earlier & there was Only one item there, I forget which it was now but wondered if all other files & programs will appear automatically with winupdate?

Thanks.

- Collapse -
There is NO ANTIVIRUS TODAY.

That will prevent a determined user from mucking up Windows.

However I'm good with Windows Defender in spite of the naysayers. You can find opinions on this subject in each camp.

But. The truth is that if the user is determined enough they will suffer a catastrophic failure by a rogue app or ransomware.

The only OSes I've seen avoid these issues are Linux based such as Linux (natch), AndroidOS and not Linux, BSD, Apple OS and ChromeOS.

Sorry to write so harshly about Windows but today, it is a fragile thing when the user is abusing the system.

- Collapse -
Agree.

I use Defender but do not torrent or visit dodgy sites. So far not a single problem.
Dafydd.

- Collapse -
Asking innocent questions ...

gets you off topic warnings...

I get the point about surfing safely, I always try to myself but not sure what "user abuse" is relevant to in the question.

The abuse usually comes from the hackers if you let them.

We are just trying to get his laptop back into shape with Windows10, a reliable AV and the minimum outlay. .That's all.

I haven't ventured into Linux, hate Apple, haven't used Chrome OS and no idea what BDS is etc.

Thanks for all the useful help.

- Collapse -
If the user is not practicing safe computing.

Then nothing can save them. I don't see this as being off topic.

I consider Windows Defender a RELIABLE ANTIVIRUS but for any antivirus to be reliable you have to practice safe computing.

No Windows antivirus or cybersecurity system is reliable enough to stand up against Dave.

Here's Dave:

Also one can induce a lot of BSODs by changing BIOS settings. So there's another point that our mythical user Dave can muck up a PC.

For the user that mucks up PCs over and over they need a Chromebook.

Post was last edited on October 1, 2019 3:39 PM PDT

- Collapse -
Dave left the room long ago,

Of course I see your point but I did state that I've been using PCs for almost 20 years so of course I'm very conscious of security now, having made the obligatory blunders in the early period.
My query was purely on the compatability issues between 10 & all the few free AV's out there.
I succumbed to anti Defender sentiment ages ago & have never used it but I take your point & will consider it again.
This query arose because I was attempting to install Avast Free on this fresh install & it didn't seem to like it, so I wondered if it was known to be a problem with 10. Seems unlikely perhaps.
My friend is less experienced but equally aware of the possible dangers. I will be handing the laptop back to him tmrw & helping him finish setting it up & personalising etc.
I note your positive comments on Chromebooks & will investigate with interest.
Cheers Rob

- Collapse -
As to the known issue with 10.

I encounter a lot of folk and the only known issues are created by the antivirus makers and not caused by Windows 10. I do know folk that will claim it's a Microsoft problem that some antivirus suite crashes or degrades a Windows 10 machine. You can't do much for those folk.

- Collapse -
Installation challenges

Hi, Rob:

We'd like to learn more about the installation issue you experienced. Please contact us directly at avast-team@avast.com with more details about what you saw, any error messages you received (including the one listed above), and which version of Windows 10 you're running on that device (and if all updates were installed prior to installing our software) and we'll be happy to assist!

-Avast Team

CNET Forums

Forum Info