General discussion

HP printer in XP

Can someone tell me why Win XP show up several times" a new hardware (printer) found, despites i have my printer installed and running?
Thankx for any info.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: HP printer in XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP printer in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just a WAG

This can happen if you installed the manufacturers printer drivers before plugging in the printer and XP already had the drivers available. If this has happened, you can try to uninstall the drivers/printer software and then delete the printer from the printer list. Restart the PC and Windows will find the new printer and use it's own driver. After this is done, if you have a newer one available, you can do a driver update.

- Collapse -
Depending on the model

you must install the drivers and software first for the printer to work. In fact, that is the way many USB peripherals are supoosed to be installed.

- Collapse -
Yes, you are correct

This works and is was advised when USB was fairly new and few devices were available. Now Windows has drivers for more devices. If the printer is a brand new model, you are probably correct. If Windows has drivers and sees the printer as a new device when starting up and checking for new hardware, it looks at itself first. I just fixed a similar problem with a new XP installation for someone having the same problem and it turns out the scenario I mentioned is what I found. It was corrected the way I stated but I cannot say for certain this will always be the case.

CNET Forums

Forum Info