Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavillion zv5320ca vs Compaq R3320CA

by sreesr / November 26, 2004 11:54 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavillion zv5320ca vs Compaq R3320CA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavillion zv5320ca vs Compaq R3320CA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: HP Pavillion zv5320ca vs Compaq R3320CA
by sreesr / November 27, 2004 2:48 AM PST

Looks like the links mentioned above does not work
Here are the new links
For HP zv5320ca -
http://shopping.hp.ca/BaseDetails.asp?PType=58&ProductLineId=25&FamilyId=111&BaseId=1967&BEId=5&cpqsid=F9G3MHUPQE0T8PRR5A275S2MDH6T8SSC
or
http://www.hp.ca/products/static/consumer/Summer04/NT/Presario/R3320CA.pdf

For compaq
http://shopping.hp.ca/BaseDetails.asp?PType=58&ProductLineId=25&FamilyId=86&BaseId=1906&BEId=5&cpqsid=F9G3MHUPQE0T8PRR5A275S2MDH6T8SSC
or
http://www.hp.ca/products/static/consumer/Summer04/NT/Presario/R3320CA.pdf

I am leaning more towards the compaq one, since it has 64 bit Athlon, and a 64 MB dedicated video memory .. but not sure how good the video card is .. NVIDIA GeForce 4 440 Go

The HP one has a shared video card - ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9000 IGP with 128MB DDR (shared)

There is nothing other which differs much .. of course, the HP is definitely the better looking one with the black keyboard.. not sure if the compaq white keyboard will get noticeably dirty with use..

I would appreciate it a lot for some pointers here

thanks,
Jangs

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / November 29, 2004 12:26 PM PST

HP and Compaq are both the same company so they usually sell 1 model of each that are similar .. see hpshopping.com for best pricing and discounts ...

However, the HP configuration you have stated has only shared/integrated video memory.

If you have to buy one or the other get the Compaq has it has Dedicated RAM -- 64mb is fine for most users.

If you don't know the difference between dedicated video RAM (video card in notebook and shared/integrated video (chip on motherboard) you have better search this site or find out fast as you will be screwed if you order shared video and want dedicated video later......

That is the #1 error made by notebook buyers as you can't pop in a video card later in an open expansion slot at anytime as you can on a desktop.......

Collapse -
by Digidoc / December 11, 2004 10:41 AM PST

Thanks for the tip about shared/integrated video vs. dedicated video. I always enjoy learning new & important details before I buy. A very 'close competitor' choice of notebook I'm kind of keen on right now is the Toshiba Satellite A70-KL1.

At 'Best Buy' here in Canada, their prices are identical, and the specs extremely similar. I'm trying to decide between the Toshiba and the HP zv5320ca. I myself prefer the 'look' of those two notebooks vs. the Compaq. Please let me know if the Toshiba's video is 'dedicated' and upgradeable later. Much appreciated!

Collapse -
Find Toshiba specs at www.Toshiba.com
by KenSanramon / December 15, 2004 5:24 PM PST

Many lower priced Toshiba notebooks have only shared/integrated video (like Intel extreme graphics) but if the specs state an ATI or Nvideo video card with 32mb or 64mb DEDICATED video RAM it has it.

Get all the details at www.Toshiba.com on specific models.

The Toshiba M30/M35 series has dedicated video memory on higher end models but many of the lower priced M35X models only have shared video RAM ....

Collapse -
Re: Toshiba laptop Specs
by Digidoc / December 18, 2004 4:36 PM PST

Ken......Many thanks from another 'newbie'. I've been learning lots from the forums.

Collapse -
HP/Compaq user independent forums a big plus
by KenSanramon / December 20, 2004 4:39 AM PST

Yes, the X1000forums.com, zd7000forums.com, DV1000forums.com and R3000forums.com cover the 4 major types of notebooks (Pentium M Centrino with dedicated video card, Pentium 4M destop replacement with 17" LCD, Athlon 64 notebook, lightweight under 5.5 pound Pentium M notebook with shared video).

I heavily compared the Toshiba M30/M35 series when I purchased and got the Compaq X1000 at the time due to a slightly better LCD at that time and a better price (by about $100).

But, now my main reason for being satisfied with my notebook is the existence of these forums which has answered every question or issue I have had and also points out upgrades or potential trouble spots.

Just having a spot where nearly everyone has the same notebook as you (not just the same brand) is extremely valuable.........

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?