HP forum

General discussion

HP Pavillion dv4 Laptop, HP support

by actionelly / September 28, 2010 12:05 PM PDT

It's a great computer and I love it, however be forewarned of HP's customer support and I am talking about if anything happens to your laptop. You can find many horrible experiences online about their warranties and the exact same story I am about to tell has happened to many others about this apparent "spill" that just happens to make your laptop void of the warranty...

I bought the laptop recently and two keys started to come off. I called and they said no problem send it in we will fix it no charge as it is covered by the warranty. They sent me a box, I packed it and shipped it off. A few days later I checked online at order status and it said they were trying to contact me. I called them and they explained to me that they opened up the computer and the motherboard was fried due to a liquid being spilled.
I told them that is impossible as I haven't even used it hardly at all. I told them I think they have the computers mixed up, this is a brand new computer and I know for a fact-100% that it has no spills on it.
They said they could fix it for 432 dollars and I said okay just fix the keys and send it back please because I know the mother board is fine; I'm not paying for something that isn't broke. They said that's fine, that they would fix those two keys and send it back. I got the laptop back and they had taped the keys on with this horribly sticky tape that was gunked up all over the keys, didn't fix them at all. They had popped off two more keys and scratched up the top of the computer. To say I was furious was an under-statement. I mean, I couldn't believe they had taped the damn keys on.

I call immediately, get a nice indian woman and tell her I need to talk to someone higher up or the people that worked on the computer. She transferred me to the technician and I told him and he agreed on how crazy that was and said we have to take this higher up.

So, I was then transferred to a case agent. Her name was Susan and I began to tell her what had happened and immediately I could already sense that this was going to go no where by how she was talking to me. I told her there is NO way there is liquid in my computer I am looking at it now and I told her I sent it for 2 keys that's it, 2 keys the shift and enter and she said she had pictures of the laptop and there is no way they can fix those keys b/c the warranty is violated by it being the customers fault with the spill.
I said I would like to see the pictures, she sent them to me and I told her THAT is NOT my laptop and she would not listen to me. Over and over she just overrode what I said by saying not right out that I was lying.
So I told her I need to talk to someone higher up and she said well I can send you to another case agent, but he will agree with me. Of course he will, did I actually think he would over-ride what she just told me? But I try anyway, his name was Mark and he said verbatim what she said that the warranty is void, I told him look I am not paying 432 dollars to get something fixed that is not broken and he said well since I feel bad for you I will wave 20% off that price. I said WHAT?
I said those repair guys just tore keys of my computer and scratched it all up and you are telling me that you will wave a few dollars off?
I said no, you need to do the right thing and fix what they messed up, I told him forget about the keys I sent it in for. I don't even care at this point, but now my laptop is even worse off. He said I'll be frank with you I have the power to totally do this for free or send you a replacement, but I'm not going to do that. I said because you think I am lying and he didn't say a word. I said what can I do here? He said take it to best buy and hope for the best.

Speechless, I cannot explain how I feel about this. It's insane, it's crazy. How can they get away with this? I've never ever had this kind of horrid support experience.

Here's the deal, the repair men are crooked folks, be mindful of this. They got a nice little racket going. They take pictures of messed up computers to take good parts from your new computer and then make money off of it. DO NOT send your computer to hp to get it fixed, I promise you will regret it. I am not done with this. These people need to be brought down and this needs to be exposed on how they are cheating customers out of their warranty and charging them in the process.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavillion dv4 Laptop, HP support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavillion dv4 Laptop, HP support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?