Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hp Pavilion Recovery Partion will not load

by gadget3302 / December 18, 2003 3:13 PM PST

I have an Hp Pavilion xt948 and the recovery partition will not load when I press f10. I tryed Fdisk /mbr. Can any one help me??? Please

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp Pavilion Recovery Partion will not load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp Pavilion Recovery Partion will not load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Hp Pavilion Recovery Partion will not load
by Yew / December 18, 2003 9:18 PM PST

If you typed in fdisk /mbr, there's a good chance that while the physical data might still be there, you're never going to be able to access that partition again. That's part of what running fdisk /mbr entails, is overwriting your current MBR with a generic "failsafe" version.

If you have some sort of a recovery CD that will redo the partition table for you, I'd suggest using it. Just be sure to back up everything you don't want to lose on the system, because it will be wiped clean and "restored" to like it was when you first turned it on.

You can also try talking the HP tech support people, but I seriously doubt they'll be of any help at all, and will probably recomend you do the same thing.

Collapse -
Re:Hp Pavilion Recovery Partion will not load
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 19, 2003 1:21 AM PST

Gadget,

It sounds like the computer won't boot. Is that correct? If it boots, you should be able to access the Recovery process from within Windows.

Have you tried pressing the F8 key at start up, then accessing the Recovery mode from there?

If that doesn't get it done, and your Fdisk /mbr may have caused a glitch there, you should be able to contact HP and with a little effort, (making sure to indicate that the computer won't boot to the Recovery Partition), they should send you a Recovery CD. Still, it will take some serious discussion (begging, screaming, or whatever) to get it done. They don't normally like to send the full CD unless forced to do so.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
One thing you forgot....
by Cursorcowboy / December 19, 2003 1:46 AM PST
Tip: (which is located just above the text editor where you entered your question) If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

1. Regardless though, what does the MS-DOS command below offer when typed at the command prompt, and you then press Enter (Start, Programs, MS-DOS Prompt)?

fdisk /status

2. How to cut and paste information displayed on an MS-DOS window:

a. Click the DOS Icon, Edit, Mark.

b. Click somewhere near the beginning of the wanted text.

c. While holding a shift key, click somewhere at the end of the wanted text so that the information shows up in the highlighted box.

d. Click the Dos Icon, Edit, Copy.

Note: If the highlighted box isn't exactly the way you want, simply start over.

e. Return to the Windows environment by typing exit and then pressing Enter. Place the cursor at the location where you want to use the text, then click Edit, Paste from either the taskbar or by right-clicking and selecting the appropriate option.
Collapse -
Make the Recovery Partition Active
by jjschmidt / July 11, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

I just ran into this problem with a friend's HP Desktop.

I loaded a new install of XP on the C Partition.

Then you can go to Computer managment in Control Panel.

Select Drive management.

right-click the H: (recovery) partion. Make it the ACTIVE Partition.

Reboot and F10 will work and you will be able to use the HP sytem restore.

Collapse -
F11
by jjschmidt / July 13, 2008 10:49 PM PDT
In reply to: I believe you used

no it is F10 - It an HP Pavillion a800n

Collapse -
Thanks!
by N0t0fthisw0rld / December 27, 2012 12:34 AM PST

This worked perfectly!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.