HP forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion notebook pc

by Sage / September 29, 2009 4:49 AM PDT

Hi everyone My laptop was bought 8-30-07 and 7-01-09 I had sent it back to HP to fix,well the MB was shot and the warranty was up and the cost was $421.88 to fix,I had it sent back to me like it was.but my son had taken out a extended warranty and I sent it to this company (Different)to fix on 7-22-09 They fix it and it was returned to me 7-29-09 and now it is the same way.Black monitor and nothing.They are sending me a box to send it back still under warranty,my question is when the warranty is over.I do not want to buy another HP.So what would be a good laptop brand other than hp.and what is causing my laptop to do this? Thank you for any answer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion notebook pc
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion notebook pc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Whcih model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 10:05 PM PDT

There were a spat of dv6000 and dv9000 models that did that. The lesson was to extend the warranty as far as possible. HP is pro-rating repairs to take some of the sting out but the lesson, advice is simple. Keep laptops under warranty until you are willing to accept the repair bills or replace the units.

Let me state this. These are short lived devices with 5 or less year designed life spans. In fact some parts like the battery are 1 year life spans.

You didn't tell the model number so I can't comment further.

About brand. ALL brands have suffered glitches like this. Type 8400 DEFECTIVE and you discover that any laptop with that chipset could be in trouble and all brands may have used that.

Advice? Get the long warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Laptop
by Sage / October 2, 2009 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Whcih model?

My is a HP Pavilion notebook dv 6409. We did take out a 2 year extend warranty with the store.we sent it to the repair center.that was micro medics.that was in 7.22.09 we received it back and now aug.28.it has done the same thing again.they have on their hardware parts replaced, repairs or diagnosed Logic Brd. now they are sending a box to me to get.again.Just wondering what might cause this?I really Like my Hp Laptop.I have 3 Compaq Desktops.just can't seem to see what caused this.thank you.
Sage

Collapse -
The cause is well known.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Laptop

I make a point of not duplicating the web. But skip to the advice. Extend that warranty on this unit. Out of warranty repairs are running about 500 and up.

And the cause is not you.
Bob

Collapse -
Hp Laptop
by Sage / October 3, 2009 2:35 AM PDT

OK you really have my curiosity! Am I going have to send this back every 2 months? Gosh I hope not!I will try and extend the warranty before the two years run out that will be 8.29.2010. Where on the web or how can I found out why this is happening? Thank you so much for saying it wasn't anything I was doing.Thank you so much Bob.
Sage

Collapse -
2 months means they didn't fix it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 3, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Hp Laptop

HP is swapping motherboards and most of the time that gets it to many years before something else dies.

If you are curious then google DV6000 RECALL. I'm sure someone has the longer answer but that will not fix a machine because you need a board to replace the failed one.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Laptop
by Sage / October 3, 2009 8:32 AM PDT

Thank you Bob,I did a google search after I made my last post,Mother boards,Thanks for your help.
Sage

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.