Question

HP Pavilion MS235 Startup Issue

I have an old HP Pavilion all-in-one PC, model MS235 that I have been messing around with for a week or so now. It runs Windows 7 and features an AMD Athlon II processor. When I first got the setup and plugged it all in, the PC booted up fine. It took quite a while, but it made it. However, once I shut the system down and tried to power it back up again, I got no display whatsoever. On top of this, the hard drive and CPU fan seem to be starting up for a few seconds and the back off again, alternating each other. I have the system tore down (which was a process all in itself), and I have tried a few things already.
Things I have tried:
-Re seating the RAM
-Switching RAM around and taking a stick out to check for bad RAM.
-Re seating the plug for the power switch
-Resetting the BIOS via the motherboard
-Checking the hard drive on another PC to make sure it's good (it is).

Some details:
-The led on the front next to the power button does NOT turn off or change color, it stays a solid blue during the entire process.
-The screen doesn't appear to be turning on at all. It's not just a black screen, it's off.
-I removed the RAM and tried to start the system. I wanted to hear if I got a beep-code, and I did. That tells me the motherboard is likely not the culprit.

The only thing I can think of is there must be a short somewhere, but I haven't got a clue where. If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

I almost forgot, though I don't know it matters, but the motherboard has the model number DAOZN1MB6Z0.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP Pavilion MS235 Startup Issue
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP Pavilion MS235 Startup Issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
HP tells all at link.
- Collapse -
CMOS prevents startup?

Would a bad CMOS battery prevent the computer from turning on at all? And would it cause the loop that's happening?

I suppose I should clarify my OP. The hard drive and fan startup issue happens in a loop over and over again until I cut the power. If I try to force shutdown the system, it powers off, but as soon as I release my finger from the button, it tries to start back up and resumes the loop.

- Collapse -
It can.

I find some folk dismiss trying the easy step. OK, what's next is to reduce the parts to bare minimum and see if it would stay on. The battery is 25 cents in bulk here so we change that for many reasons. It's something that doesn't last forever and can cause issues. Is it this time? It appears you want something more.

So moving on to more work and risk. Reduce the parts to as little as possible.

CNET Forums

Forum Info