Desktops forum

Question

HP Pavilion m8100n, Flashing Power Light, No Video

by MadDog843 / February 19, 2014 10:01 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion m8100n Media Center Desktop PC. It's a late summer 2007 Model, that came originally with Vista Home Premium 32-Bit. Original Specs are AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ Dual-Core AM2 Processor @2.8Ghz, 3GB DDR2-667Mhz Ram (2x 1GB, 2x 512MB), 500GB SATA Hard Drive, 16x DVD-R/W Drive w/ Lightscribe & a Hauppauge Win TV HD PVR-1600 TV Tuner.

I upgraded it to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit in 2009, and upgraded it to 6GB DDR2-667Mhz Ram. In 2012 the original Hard Drive Failed and I put in a 160GB SATA Drive and a 250GB IEDE Slave until I could afford to put a new drive in it. I then came across a cheap used 500GB SATA and put that in about 8 months ago. I also have been running a Windows 8 Pro w/ Media Center and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Dual Boot.

I recently got a killer deal on two Seagate 2011.7 1.5TB SATA Hard Drives, one that I put in my Gateway Quad-Core Desktop and one in this HP. The Gateway is working great (The comp I'm using Now) and so was the HP for a while. I re-installed Windows 8 Pro, and upgraded it to 8GB DDR2-667Mhz. Everyone worked just fine for the first while, then I went to turn it on, and the Power light started flashing (These ones have an amber light for sleep mode, so I knew it wasn't that It also sounded like each time was a small beep everytime it flashed. It would flash six or seven times, then the fans would slow down and it would go through it's boot sequence, but there was no video. A couple days later I came back and it worked just fine for about three weeks.

The other day, I decided to upgrade it from PC2-5300 667Mhz RAM to PC2-6400 800Mhz RAM, two of the modules in it were already running at 800Mhz, so I bought another two and did the upgrade. Everything went smoothly and Windows booted up just fine. A few days later I decided to install Windows 7 Ultimate for my Dual-Boot and it started the the blinking light and no video on boot. I took my video card out of it and tried off of the motherboard video, but no chance. I left it and came back about an hour later and it only flashed three times, then my monitor came on and it went through it's boot sequence. When Windows 98 loaded, I got a Blue Screen of Death and then back to the flashing lights again and no video. I tried to reseat the RAM but to no avail. Any other ideas? None of the capacitors on the board are humped or vented. Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion m8100n, Flashing Power Light, No Video
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion m8100n, Flashing Power Light, No Video
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
That video card doesn't look stock.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 1:32 PM PST
Collapse -
Interesting
by MadDog843 / February 19, 2014 1:48 PM PST

This video card has been in this computer for over four years. The specs on the card say it only needs a 250W Power Supply. I'm hoping that the new Power Supply I ordered helps, as I have a better Video Card to add to the system as well that requires at least 350W. I'll try stock when I have time. I have removed the video card and tried it off of the On-Board video, but to no avail. I've also tried a less powerful card, and still no video. I'm down to three thoughts, either corrupt BIOS, bad memory modules or the Power Supply.

Collapse -
Move back to stock. But 4 years is a long time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 1:54 PM PST
In reply to: Interesting

If I remember the 4350 (we had a few at the office) it was not a low Watt board. So this is a strain and ages the PSU faster. Remember there is no "solid state" power supply. The electrolytic capacitors will age and you lose some capacity each month.

The suspect is the PSU and that's a cheap part to start with.

Again, the fact it was in there for years is a good sign it's likely the PSU rather than it isn't.
Bob

Collapse -
To Bettery Clarify
by MadDog843 / February 19, 2014 1:53 PM PST

This video card was recommended for use in this system with it's stock configuration. This is a lower consumption 4350HD Card with no fan. I bought it this way so that I could use it with my original Power Supply

Collapse -
Yes you could
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 1:57 PM PST
In reply to: To Bettery Clarify

But it's still pushing more Watts and given the age would be the first part to change.

Two things.

1. If you feel you can't risk changing the wrong part, find a shop counter to do the repair. They'll have a shop PSU to try out and then can tell you if that's it or another part. Some folk can't stand to replace the most likely part, then the next.

2. Think of it like a car. Running at 80MPH sure it can do that but the car at 65 will go so much further till it needs repair. This is why I never run a PSU at over 50% rating. Folk get upset at failures under 5 years.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For Extra Clarification..
by MadDog843 / February 19, 2014 10:05 AM PST

Just for extra clarification, the current specs are as follows:

AMD Athlon 64x2 5600+ Dual-Core Processor @2.8Ghz (Original OEM)
8GB DDR2-800 PC2-6400 Dual Channel RAM
1.5TB Seagate SATA Hard Drive
ATI Radeon 4350HD 512MB PCI-E x16 Video Card
16x DVD-R/RW Combo Drive w/ Lightscribe (Original OEM)
300W ATX Power Supply (Orignal OEM, new 500W ordered)

Had original Motherboard as well

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?