Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion g6 Laptop hard drive might be gone...

by Mojo514 / January 23, 2014 3:55 AM PST

i was using my laptop and then it froze, i pressed the power button to shut it off and when i turned it back on it says "Launch Starup Repair (recommended)" & "Start Windows Normally" When i go to Startup Repair it goes to Windows Boot Manager and it says "Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer" "Status: 0xc00000e9, Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured." and Start Windows Normally you just see the Windows logo flashing over and over doing nothing.

some people would say just buy a new hard drive but this happened to my friends laptop and the people he took it to said it was the hard drive but he tried re-installing windows 7 through a usb stick and it worked, i didnt think it was the hard drive because last time i had a failed hard drive it was making clicking noises.

anyway i havent tried re-installing windows on mine because i have a lot of important stuff on it and i want to try and save whatever i can unfortunately i dont have a hdd usb adapter im considering investing in one after this fiasco, does anybody know a way how i can fix my hdd without having to wipe it? Thanks a lot guys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion g6 Laptop hard drive might be gone...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion g6 Laptop hard drive might be gone...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2014 4:09 AM PST

The answer is simply no. One NEVER writes or repairs a HDD before they get what they can't lose on backups. And notice I used the plural of backup.

We have a lot of options from booting a Live CD to get such onto SkyDrive or Gdrive or Dropbox.

In fact, why isn't what you can't lose backed up?
Bob

Collapse -
by Mojo514 / January 23, 2014 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: No.

i just never backed it up, i should've i know but i didnt, anyway i guess the only way is to get ahold of a hdd usb adapter and see if i can save anything, then ill try re-installing windows on it which im confident will work. thanks anyway bob

Collapse -
Repeat. Live CD or USB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2014 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: ..

I boot such machines using Live CDs or USB to get files out. You don't need the DropBox client on the Live CD or USB. Just browse to dropbox.com and log in then drag stuff over.

Then again I rarely have to do that much work as USB drives are pretty cheap now.
Bob

PS. Old advice I know. See http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Collapse -
knoppix...
by Mojo514 / January 29, 2014 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Repeat. Live CD or USB

i downloaded 2 different versions of Knoppix n it wont boot via USB n i tried burning them on 2 dvds n they were both duds

Collapse -
Link.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 29, 2014 8:53 AM PST
In reply to: knoppix...
Collapse -
by Mojo514 / January 29, 2014 8:56 AM PST
In reply to: Link.

i know how to burn isos

Collapse -
Try small distros.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2014 8:58 AM PST

And keep in mind HP burned me badly on a HP g62. Turned out it had a BIOS issue which HP stated they could not fix since they "bought the BIOS."

This is not the company I knew years ago.
Bob

Collapse -
!!!
by Mojo514 / January 29, 2014 9:02 AM PST
In reply to: Try small distros.

i just hope i can atleast find a hdd adapter around cause none of this **** is helping, very frustrating

Collapse -
HP didn't help me either.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2014 9:43 AM PST
In reply to: !!!

Bailed on a 3 month laptop with a defect. Strange, disturbing and our last HP.

As to **** this can be hard for folk the first time out. If it's that bad, have the work done for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Then try...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 29, 2014 9:00 AM PST

... a different version of Linux. There are many.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
by Mojo514 / January 30, 2014 11:42 AM PST
In reply to: Then try...

bought a drive enclosure, the only thing it shows me on my hd is 'SYSTEM (E:) 165MB free of 198MB' but the folder is empty, 'RECOVERY 1.69GB free of 15.5GB' but in the recovery folder there r 4 files and they're all 1KB in size, 'HP_TOOLS 89.1MB free of 99.3MB which contains folders saying "BIOS, BIOSUpdate & SystemDiags, these folders combined have maybe a few MB, and lastly 'Local Disk' which shows nothing.

looks like the hd really is screwed, i appreciate all the help, sucks i couldnt recover any files Sad

Collapse -
last question
by Mojo514 / February 5, 2014 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: ...

before i go and reinstall windows 7, is there any way to recover my files? i know the enclosure didnt show anything but im just curious if there is a way, if not then ill start the reinstallation. thanks again guys

Collapse -
If recovery is an issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 5, 2014 5:06 AM PST
In reply to: last question

Look in the Lost and Found post in CNET's Storage forum. Ideas from free, to trialware to recovery houses are supplied.

Remember the golden rule about recovery. Never write to a drive you want to recover files from. Clone the drive and work on the clone.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by Mojo514 / February 8, 2014 3:19 PM PST

hey bob i downloaded ubuntu desktop edition but i still couldnt save any files, atleast now i know how to recover files if i need to, thanks for the help

Collapse -
Re installing windows 7
by Amandandanny03 / March 6, 2016 10:36 AM PST
In reply to: last question

I had the same problem. I don't care to recover my files, so how do I re install Windows 7?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!