Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion Freeze When Online

by veb14 / March 28, 2004 7:09 AM PST

Herb:
Sorry if I caused any difficulties--I piggybacked my original post on that of "tomlatl" on 3/24. To avoid any further confusion, I'll start over (and perhaps you can refer to my original post if I forget something).

I run Win98 2ndEd/on an HP Pavilion (8750C) purchased in 2000. It says that I've got 69% of my system resources free (whatever that means), and am only using 3.80gb of my hard drive. Last month I added 64mb of memory, bringing me to 128mb.

Since the computer was purchased, I have had consistent but random difficulties with the computer freezing when I am online. It appeared to be caused by Juno (then my ISP). I have since switched to Verizon DSL, but the problem persists. When I say "freeze", or "lock-up", I mean that using CTL+ALT+DEL has no effect. The computer must be turned off at the power switch, then when turned back on, scan disk does it's thing, and I get that annoying message telling me to stop shutting my computer off that way (as if I was doing it by choice!).

Anyway, you indicated that I should update my device drivers (I've done that to the best of my ability).

I've got the most recent of Microsoft's updates for Office 97 Pro, Outlook & IE6. I can't find anything when searching online about updates for Ad-aware or Big Fix. I'm up-to-date with MM Jukebox. Anything else was installed long after the problem started, so isn't the cause (Master Chef and Ultra WinCleaner).

I regularly defrag and use Ultra Win Cleaner for the rest of cleanup. I've dumped stuff that I don't use and only load what's necessary at start up.

My use is limited to writing Word documents, sending e-mail, ocasionally listening to cds and surfing the net or playing games.

As I said, the freezing is very random. One time it will freeze immediately upon opening my home page, then two weeks can go by with no occurrence (but heavy internet usage), and then it will freeze when I'm five minutes into surfing. There is no obvious connection between what I'm doing online and when the computer freezes.

If this is indeed a memory problem, then adding that 64mb last month was a waste of money? If I read the other message correctly, then I have to uninstall the new memory card and install enough to bring me to 256?

If true, I have to ask a stupid question. Why would HP sell a computer that hasn't enough memory to perform the functions installed on it?

I am computer terminology and technology challenged, so remember to respond as if to the feeble minded!

Thanks so much for your help, and sorry if my repeating the post is a pain--I just wanted to be clear.

-Valerie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion Freeze When Online
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion Freeze When Online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:HP Pavilion Freeze When Online
by HerbChong / March 28, 2004 7:38 AM PST

computer vendors put in as little RAM as they can get away with because of cost nothing more. 128M sounds fine for what you are doing. if all this has been happening before you upgraded the RAM, and you have been cleaning up everything else, then things get tricky. it's made worse by being intermittent. on top of this, it's been happening for a while. the crashes have been causing their own problems too. i think the best thing to do at this point given that you have not got a huge number of applications on your system is to save all your data and do a clean install. there are too many crashes between the time this started happening and now.

Herb...

Collapse -
Re: HP Pavilion Freeze When Online
by Ron Jeremy / December 1, 2004 4:39 AM PST

Ok, I have the SAME computer since 1999. This one is notorious for having these issues. I sincerely think it all leads to some issue with handling on-graphics. I've tried all the things you've done and have 256K ram. Only one thing has seeemed to conclusively work though the other things helped.

Solution?

Right click "my computer". Then go to "Advanced". Under "Performance" you need to set your settings for "Adjusts for Best Performance".

I can honestly say this has eliminated freezes on my computers. Furthermore, the problem was really bad with Windows XP but now is solved if not virtually eliminated.

Good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!