Peripherals forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion f1703 blackout - reported today 5/14/05

My f1703 monitor began blacking out a week or so ago.
I was able to unplug it and plug it back in and it would work for a day or so. Then, it started happening more frequently...now, it will only come on for a second or two. I called HP support this afternoon (but, since it is out of warranty - 15 months old)..they would only offer me a refurbished one for $350. RIGHT...like I want another one of these...what, so I can pay $350 in another year for another replacement. I don't think so!
I asked the HP Support person if others had reported this problem and he said "NO". After I did not accept his offer to replace my bad monitor with a refurbished one...I went online and searched "known issues HP Pavilion f1703"...hoping to find a solution....and I found this website. This is amazing to me! I have read every post related to the blackouts and it appears MANY people have reported the same problem.
So, I guess HP has NO WAY of tracking "repeat" problems/issues with their equipment...Yeah..right!!

I (like another post I read) am responsible for the hardware purchases for a very large (Fortune 500 Company)....and because of the loss of respect that I now have for HP....I WILL NOT purchase one more item from them. It is very obvious that they do not care about the little guy. So, maybe the BIG GUY can get their attention. I realize that my own personal $500 monitor is no big deal to them...but, losing a couple of million a year...could possibly make them take a second look at customer service.

All they had to do is admit that there is a problem and offer a remedy for it (replacement, apology, something!!). Instead, they offer nothing but a big fat LIE (they are not aware of this problem).

My next step is to try the power adapter replacement. My fingers are crossed that this will work....if not, I will purchase a new LCD flat panel monitor (I will try Dell...maybe they value their customers)!

SHAME, SHAME, SHAME on you HP!!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion f1703 blackout - reported today 5/14/05
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion f1703 blackout - reported today 5/14/05
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe you want something with a longer warranty?

In reply to: HP Pavilion f1703 blackout - reported today 5/14/05

Collapse -
HP f1703 - New Adapter Coming

Just spoke with HP about my f1703. They had me shine a flashlight to my monitor (blacked out)to see if I could detect the wallpaper the computer was showing. I could faintly see the wallpaper showing. They told me the power adapter was bad, and they are sending me a new one.
It is not the monitor, but the power adapter that is faulty.

I let them know I had just viewed a web site with multiple complaints of the same problem.

Collapse -
New Adapter

In reply to: HP f1703 - New Adapter Coming

Was your f1703 still under warranty? When I contacted HP they acted like they had never ehard of this problem kept telling me that because my monitor was out of warranty (purchased it 15 months ago) they couldn't even send ma a replacement adapter. HP has been totally rotten on this whole thing.

Collapse -
No replacement

In reply to: New Adapter

Same thing happened to me after discussion with them on 5/18/05.

Collapse -
HP f1703

In reply to: HP f1703 - New Adapter Coming

Please advise if your f1703 was still under warranty. Because I was told since mine was not under warranty nothing could be done. Mine is also 15 months old.

Collapse -
Solution is new power adapter

In reply to: HP f1703

I wouldn't even bother with HP anymore. They are completely burying their heads in the sand on this one. Everyone I talk to says they have never heard of the problem before. I was told that because they sell millions of products, problems like this sometimes occur. It's just my tough luck. I bought a Targus AC power adapter from Staples about a week ago, and my monitor has been working fine ever since. Just don't buy anything else from HP. I guess when they sell millions of products, it doesn't matter to them if they lose a few customers.

Collapse -
HpF1703 monitor

In reply to: Solution is new power adapter

Can you tell me if your monitor is still working after you purchased the Targus power adapter? Also what was the input and out put voltage on the new adapter. My friend is having the same problem and I just wanted to give her all the information I could.
Thanking you in advance. Peechkee

Collapse -
Power adapter

In reply to: HpF1703 monitor

Collapse -
Part # for Targus AC power adapter

In reply to: Solution is new power adapter

Hi,
I've been trying to replace my AC Adapter for my HP f1703 monitor for a week now. I haven't found one yet nobody seems to know what I'm talking about and HP hasn't been any help. All the parts department told me was that it's a universal adapter. I finally found this web site and saw your solution. Can you tell me the part # for the adapter?
Please help.
suzyfaz@aol.com

Collapse -
Here it is

In reply to: Part # for Targus AC power adapter

Targus AC Power Adapter Model APA10US

Collapse -
Thanks for the info

In reply to: Here it is

I'll let you know how it works out.

Collapse -
Rev # ?

In reply to: Here it is

I just called HP and they said Im out of luck because my monitor was manufactured on month before the defect supposedly started. I saw TSmitty used a power adapter to fix his problem. Has anyone else done this with any luck? I was thinking maby there were 2 different problems and maby the ones with my Rev# are the power adapter problem (Im sure you see my desperation.) If any of you have had luck with the power adapter please let me know the Rev# of your monitor. Mine is Rev# YT01. Its written on the back of the monitor in the little info panel. Please someone help me, because those jerks at HP sure wont.

Collapse -
f1703 fix

There's a fix for the blackout problem. Check it out here: http://home.pacbell.net/cmonte/monitor/f1703.htm

I found TWO bad solder joints, both at the base of the coils. If you've got the tools, experience and confidence you can fix it yourself, or find someone to help you out.

You can verify that you have a backlight problem by turning your monitor on with your machine booted, and shine a flashlight on the screen. You should see, very dimly, your desktop. The screen is not totally blacked out, just very, very dim.

Good luck

p.s. check the other threads here on the f1703 and you'll find Lewong who posted the fix.

Collapse -
F1703 fix

In reply to: f1703 fix

Thanks for the help!! I had the problem you described, and was able to fix it myself with your directions - three cold solder joints. I'd previously called the local big box computer store and informaed them about the HP extended warranty info for this monitor, and was informed that they would send it to their repair facility. When they had completed the repairs, I would then need to pay for the repairs, and then try to get reimbursed by HP. Now there's some great customer service - let's make it as difficult and painful as possible for the customer to get this piece of crap fixed. I think they were probably more interested in selling me a new monitor. Next time, it ain't gonna be an HP, and it ain't gonna be the big box computer seller. I have a Dell at work, at it hasn't had any probems at all.

Collapse -
HP pavilion f1703 monitor Blackout problems

Same thing just happened to me. I bought the hp package 13 months ago and three weeks out of warranty the monitor quit working and blacking out. I just (not 5 minutes ago got off the phone with "Dan") in customer care with HP. I got the same old song and dance I have been reading about that there are millions of satisfied customers. This is Bull! The monitor has only been around for 18 months according to them and I am discouraged by the corporate response given. Of course they were unaware of any other complaints. Indicated that they were not lying to me. Maybe we need to band together and sue them in a class action suit. Anybody with me?

Collapse -
HPdv1000 dies 8 days after warranty expires

In reply to: HP pavilion f1703 monitor Blackout problems

I am wondering if anyone knows of problems with the HP dv1000 notebook? After owning mine for 1 year and 8 days, the motherboard needs replaced and I'm out the 1,500 I paid for the computer -plus the cost of a new one (which won't be an HP). Of course, HP is of no help or support and refuses to extend the warranty.

A colleague of mine told me that a reputable business adminsitration masters program in Texas had offered deals for HP notebooks to incoming students only for them to break down one year after purchase.

Smells like another class action suit against HP/Compaq. Anyone else interested?

Thanks.

Collapse -
HP dv1000 Windows XP laptop

In reply to: HPdv1000 dies 8 days after warranty expires

Does anyone know about a history of the LCD screen going dark.

This just happened with a refurbished I purchased last month. I can use it with an external monitor but the LCD screen comes on periodically but is very dim. It was OK until the last week.

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thanks

Collapse -
pavillion dv1000

i've had nothing but problems since purchased this "lemon" in July 2006 for 1,000. now i have a computer that won't turn on, motherboard was replaced in june 2007, now im' out of warrant and same problem has occurred again. HP has been HORRIBLE. and Staples/Business Depot, where purchased has been just as bad! I'm suing both. anyone want to join me? i'm in Ottawa. send me an email romaniangirl8@hotmail.com

Collapse -
CLASS ACTION HP DV1000 ----------a lemon

THERE'S A CLASS ACTION VS HP http://www.hpnotebookclassaction.com/

i originally posted these on another forum :

Hi,

My almots 24 months HP dv1000 shuts down randomly too. I think it's overheating. I will take it to the Futureshop store as i bought a 3 yrs extended warranty. I hope they won't tell me, oh sorry, dust in the fan is not covered by this expensive warranty.
We'll see.
I t could be something else, not the fan. But i surely won't open it myself !

mess 2 : I continued reading the threads and i see that A LOT OF PEOPLE are experiencing the same problem. In addition to random shutdowns, my battery doesnt hold the charge anymore (2 yrs old) and i suspect it's not because of the battery, something's fishy.
I will take it to Futureshop (equivalent to Best Buy in canada, Best buy just bought the Futureshop stores anyways) and see if i they fix my problem ( 3 yrs extended warranty i took for 300 $) . It's supposed to be a full warranty and i'm not supposed to pay for anything, i WILL TEST THIS WARRANTy and being pessimistic and having heard a lot of bad stories about these extended warranties, i'm expecting a FIGHT with the store manager, i hope i'm wrong !

HP DV1000 IS LEMON ! i guess

Collapse -
Adapter replacment

I would like to no if the power adapter replacement solved the blackout problem.
Thank you,
sandirut@aol.com

Collapse -
hp pavilion f1703

I am experiencing the same problem as the one of your members concerning the above mentioned flat screen. I am presently looking for my receipt and hoping I am not out of warranty. Thank you for confirming that my problem was not a local one.

Rev. Carl B. Lilly
(740) 867-4266
Chesapeake, OH 45619

Collapse -
HP f1703

In reply to: hp pavilion f1703

I saw your post regarding the HP f1703 black out issue. I am a paralegal with David Meyer & Associates, a consumer class action law firm in Columbus, Ohio. We have been researching this problem extensively and I was wondering if you would be willing to give me more specifics regarding your experiences with HP. If you wouldn?t mind talking with me please call 614-384-7030 or 1-866-827-6537.
Thank you,
Shelly Coffman

Collapse -
New software fix for this problem ??

In reply to: HP f1703

Hi Everyone, I have just come from support at HP and was given a link to a software download for new drivers that supposedly will fix the blacking out problem. I've updated my driver and will see what happens. As my monitor is only 6 months old, I have a while to go before my warranty runs out.

The driver can be found here :

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software2/COL4143/pv-13520-1/SP24740.exe

It should download the new driver automatically into a separate folder. Also in this folder are instructions on how to update the driver ( they are in a .txt file.

If this doesn't work, I'm sure I'll be back posting about it soon.

Mark.

Collapse -
Follow-up on HP driver

In reply to: New software fix for this problem ??

This is an old driver. I installed it a few months ago when my monitor started having problems. It never helped. I'm now using my old reliable 15" crt.

Has anyone heard from the San Francisco attorneys about a class action lawsuit? I sent an email to them about a week ago but haven't heard from them.

Thanks much!

Collapse -
HP F1703 - web page information

In reply to: Follow-up on HP driver

You may want to read this :

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00409521&lc=en

I called them up and have been told that they will replace my monitor - even though the person told me it was out of warranty ( which I told him was BS as my monitor had a Manufacturing Year of March 2004 stamped on the back ( he told me it was made in Jan 2003 according to the SN ).

I had to fax my original receipt and ask them to upgrade my warranty so that they could do a replacement ( I've had the computer 6 months ).

If I get any more negitive feedback from them I'll report here.

Collapse -
HP f1703 online message

In reply to: HP F1703 - web page information

That's great news! I checked the HP notice but my monitor appears to have been made in July 2003. The HP website covers monitors made October 2003 or later. I'm calling HP first thing tomorrow about this - I have the same problems as everyone else on this website. Wish me luck!

Collapse -
Thank you.

In reply to: HP F1703 - web page information

Just wanted to thank all of you for shareing the problems you have had with your monitors. I was going through the same issues where my monitor died after the warrenty expired. I called Dell and they will be replacing my monitor free of charge.

Again thank you for the link and the information..

Collapse -
new monitor received

Well, after four phone calls I finally received a replacement monitor through Fed-ex this morning.

Only possible problem is that is was manufactured between the dates that the faulty ones were, so I am sitting here typing with fingers crossed that it doesn't start dimming and blacking out any time soon.

Mark.

Collapse -
You should have bought an extended warranty

Thats all I heard from HP customer no service. That seems to be the only thing they know to say.
I spent two hours on the phone monday and finally got them to admit there is a proble with this monitor. I was supposed to recieve another one today (thursday) but guess what. they want my proof of purchace now. I explained I threw it away after the warranty ran out. their own web page says they will replace it up to 27 months after the date of manufacture.
seems they are doing any and everything to get out of fixing this problem.

Collapse -
Extended warranty

In reply to: You should have bought an extended warranty

I did buy an extended warranty - but was told by HP that it DID NOT cover the monitor - just the tower. They are giving us a lot of bunk!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.