General discussion

HP Pavilion e9280t Bios problem

I purchased this machine in November 2009 and had been pretty happy with it's performance. I did have to replace a bad card reader although not very technical I was able to do so easily with HP support on the phone. This tech rep spoke perfect English so it made it easy no so when reporting the problem. Sorry, off the subject. My problem is:

If I leave a CD/DVD in the dvd driv and do a shutdown I will not be able to reboot. It appears that it tries to boot from that dvd drive. I have checked the bios and it shows my cdisk as first in priority. If there is no cd/dvd in the drive when i boot up it comes up fine. I have checked to see if there was an updated bios on the HP site but found none. I am currently running Bios Revision 5.24 10/29/09.

I do not want to call HP support because they are horrible, I won't go into details. I am hoping someone here can give me some advice on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have......Ralph

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP Pavilion e9280t Bios problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP Pavilion e9280t Bios problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
The other boot problem.

Sorry but this one is a classic issue. I wish they would issue a bios update soon. The other machine we have won't boot if the scanner is plugged in. While we did figure out that if you put the scanner on the other side of some USB hub cures that, it is a shame a new bios is not out.

Back to your issue. Is there a list of bootable devices that you can edit? NOT ALL BIOS can do that. But it needs to be taken out.
Bob

- Collapse -
Bios problem

Thanks Bob. There is a list which lists three devices, C-disk, DVD drive, and Seagate usb 250 gb disk drive. I disabled the dvd drive to see if the same thing happened with the seagate drive but it worked fine. Disabling the dvd drive worked but I had to enable the dvd drive otherwise it couldn't be used. I had thought that disabling the drive in the Bios would fix my problem and still allow me to use it, not so. I guess I will just put up with the slight inconvenience as there is no way I am going to call HP Tech support. All they want to do is a complete system restore no matter what the problem is.

Thanks again...................Ralph

CNET Forums