Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion dv9000 Boots to black screen, keeps resetting

by nerofmx / September 11, 2010 8:24 AM PDT

Hello, I have an HP Pavilion dv9000 here that is having quite an odd issue. I did some searching on the forums here but did not find much help.

When you press the power on this laptop, all the lights will turn on, and look like it is starting to turn on, but nothing will happen on the screen. Sometimes the fan will start for a second then stop. After about 15-20 seconds, it will auto-reset itself and do the same thing over and over until you take out the battery or hold the power button to shut it off.

I have done the following to the computer to check problems:

Firstly, I took the battery out and did the hard reset with the power button as stated in the stickies in this forum.

Secondly, I took a hard drive out of a completely working laptop, and installed it in this HP. It was worth a try, but I didn't really think the hard drive was the problem as pc's will still boot to a BIOS screen and setup even with no hard drive through the onboard memory.

Third, I plugged an external monitor into the laptop to test to see if it was just the screen that was bad, being very doubtful, as again, the computer would still boot up with a bad screen and not keep doing the reset thing.

Lastly, I took the entire laptop apart and cleaned everything with the electronics compressed air cleaner I like, made sure everything was snug in the processor and what-not, and put everything back together really nice...

...Still Nothing.

This leaves me to believe there may be a problem in the Motherboard or Processor? Is this what it sounds like to you all?

Please give me your input and if you have any more advice on other things I can try before telling this person they need to buy new internals. Thank you very much!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion dv9000 Boots to black screen, keeps resetting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion dv9000 Boots to black screen, keeps resetting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The bad news is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2010 8:49 AM PDT

This model is well known. You can type in DV9000 at google and the first hit is HP's extended warranty (which may be over by now.)

We know what it is, what caused it and the fix. Sadly I can't spend too much time explaining that the motherboard exchange is the cure.
Bob

Collapse -
Same problem as above
by angelamead / October 8, 2010 6:32 AM PDT
In reply to: The bad news is

Is it really the motherboard - can it not be a defective screen as I have had my harddrives, memory etc.. all checked and seems okay?

Collapse -
Keep researching.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 8, 2010 6:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Same problem as above

I would be duplicating the thousands of posts here. you say you checked the rest and we know that line all too well.

Let's say it's a bad screen. Given the product's issues and the cost of a screen that would mean we would not replace the screen. Also the item that fails, controls the screen!
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.