Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion dv8000 not registering memory upgrade

hey, I've had my HP Pavilion dv8000 for a while and I recently decided to upgrade from 1GB of RAM to the max of 2GB of RAM. I bought the correct type of RAM (2 X 1GB modules) and I took out the 2 X 512MB I had already in there and then I put in the 2 X 1GB modules. But after I turned on the computer it still said that it only had 1GB of RAM so I contacted HP and they said try both modules separately in each slot so I did and neither module worked in the topmost slot but both worked in the bottom slot.
However, I tried putting one of the 1GB modules in the bottom slot and one of the 512MB modules in the topmost slot and it read both modules and the computer says it now has 1.5GB of RAM.
How come it wont register both of the 1GB modules when I put them in together?
Is there something I can do to fix this or would it just be a better solution to buy a 2GB module and put it in the bottom slot and leave the topmost slot open?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion dv8000 not registering memory upgrade
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion dv8000 not registering memory upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you get these from crucial.com?

In reply to: HP Pavilion dv8000 not registering memory upgrade

Many try generics first and posts like yours happen.

Also, the dv6000 is the series, not the model of your laptop. It's almost like telling the auto store you need a headlamp for your Ford F-150.
Bob

Collapse -
Not generic

In reply to: Did you get these from crucial.com?

No they are not from Crucial.com, I know what to buy so I purchased Kingston memory modules from Newegg.com.
Also, my notebook model is Hp Pavilin dv8000.

Collapse -
Now check the kingston.com site.

In reply to: Not generic

See if what you got is for your machine.

The dv8000 is a series and not the model number. You'll need this sooner or later.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.