HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion DV6-2158ET or HP Pavilion DV6-3046ST

by DroomNop / August 5, 2010 3:45 AM PDT

The first:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02206017&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=4186188

Second:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02226954&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=za&product=4217180&man_lang=en&lang=en

I can choose between these two, but unfortunately I don't know much/anything about hardware, so I'd be very grateful if someone could advice on which laptop is better for me Happy

I read the difference between 32bit and 64bit, but which of the laptops would be better to use 64bit? The one with 2.26 Ghz and 6GB ram, or 2.4Ghz with 3GB ram? And which Graphic card is better? I usually have several programs open at the same time, and I really hate it when it laggs (not tons of resource hogging programs, little stuff like explorer windows).

I want to use programs like Adobe Photoshop and Visual Studio, and maybe a game every now and then, but it's ok if I can't play the latest games or use the latest fancy shading technology. I'd just appreciate it if I could switch between windows without having to wait 5-10 seconds, or getting random-3-minute-freezes. My current laptop has 512mb ram and 1.6ghz, and I can't start up Photoshop or Visual Studio without making myself a cup of coffee. I'm really glad now that I got some money left to buy a better laptop, but it's still a lot of money for me (I'm a student Happy so I hope someone can help me and I don't make the wrong choice, thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion DV6-2158ET or HP Pavilion DV6-3046ST
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion DV6-2158ET or HP Pavilion DV6-3046ST
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it were me i would buy the one with 6 gig of ram.
by orlbuckeye / August 5, 2010 5:50 AM PDT

The graphics card isn't quite as good but it will do what you need. One thing to tell about a graphics cards is to look at the second number in the model #. The higher the 2nd number the better the Gp for gaming. Those processors are basically the same but the one has a higher clock speed. Both of the processors are 64 bit and both probably has a 64 bit version of the OS since they both have over 3 gig. 64 bit can access more memory then a 32 bit. You can install a 32 or 64 bit OS on a 64 bit machine. The 2158 has more memory so the multitasking will be smoother. Monre memory will make the sytem run faster. A faster clock speed processor only advantage is in number crunching. The second one if you want to upgrade the memory you will have to buy to 4 gig chips (which aren't cheap now) and with the machine with 6 gig you have a 4 gig allready and just need to add 1 4 gig to get to 8. To upgrade the 4 gig to 8 you can't use the 2 gig chips that came with the machine.

Collapse -
by DroomNop / August 5, 2010 7:30 AM PDT

Thank you for the advice, smooth multitasking is exactly what I need. And since I'm not thinking about upgrading the ram I can go with the first one, which is the cheaper one, means I could even get a new modem. Thanks again, this helped me.

Collapse -
Gaming or notebook?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 7:26 AM PDT

The one with "ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics (switchable)" gets the nod if you are wanting to hit the road and use it on your lap to catch some email or web while on battery power. The other has more ram.

On the road I use a simple hp g62-149wm since it's cheap and good looking for the road. It's not very expensive so the office won't scream if it disappears out on the road. It runs Visual Studio just fine. NO GAMES ON THIS MACHINE due to simple graphics solution but that means it barely warms up.

Is there any chance you can do without the games?
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah I could
by DroomNop / August 5, 2010 7:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Gaming or notebook?

Just saw your reply, well it'd be cool if I could play a game when I'm bored. I's ok if I can't play any fancy games that just came out and require a lot of power, and the games I 'would' play even run smooth (with a low fps every now and then) on my current laptop, so I think any of these two would do just fine, or not?

Collapse -
I own a dv6 with
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Yeah I could

Core2duo, 4GB ram, ati video and it's nice enough but the new i5 machine rocks when it comes to Visual Studio and "work."

4GB ram looks to be fine for years. The switchable graphics will give you less heat when you don't need it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.