HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion A300Y cannot locate wireless connection

by dridds / September 27, 2008 10:52 AM PDT

My mom has an older PC, HP Pavilion A300Y,it's running Windows XP. She has been sharing my wireless connection (houses side by side) recently the computer cannot locate the the wireless network but says its connected. What should I do?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion A300Y cannot locate wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion A300Y cannot locate wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do You Have A Wireless Contract To Do Such?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 11:18 AM PDT

Most wireless ISP's only allow contact for users within the same house.. Is yours different?

Generally though, when distance is an issue for a wireless connection, I test with another computer and verify if it's the computer at fault, etc.. And when all else fails, a high gain antenna, or a directional antenna on the router or computer seem to take care of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Connection worked in the past
by dridds / September 27, 2008 11:38 AM PDT

My mother is 84 yrs old and only uses the internet about 10 minutes a day to check her e-mails. Otherwise, the signal has worked fine for her in the past. As I mentioned before the computer shows the wireless network is there but doesn't recognize it to connect to it.
Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Collapse -
The Same Questions And Suggestions Stand...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 11:48 AM PDT

..Have you answered those questions and tried the suggestions yet?..

One other note: If the router has the SSID display blocked, turn it back on so the SSID is being displayed.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
"She has been sharing my wireless connection (houses side"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 11:40 AM PDT

Ahh. Who's to say the people next door didn't secure their wifi?

Collapse -
Confused
by dridds / September 27, 2008 11:48 AM PDT

I don't understand the reply. I pay for the service, its encrypted and it's only shared with my mother.

Collapse -
Then you need to take the machine
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2008 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: Confused

Back to the room where the wifi router is and retest. If it doesn't work there you triple check this machine's wifi is enabled, the antenna is plugged in and reload the OS and drivers if need be.

Still doesn't work? Then you are looking at failed hardware and get it repaired.

-> There is that issue of "secured wifi networks" where people use WEP and learn about why that is not secure. Or they think using MAC FILTERing works and learn that fails too. What to do? Read our Networking Forum top post about a setup we use all over. It's simple, secure and works well 99.99% of the time. The remaining 0.01% of the time it's the firewall or bum hardware.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.