Peripherals forum

General discussion

HP OfficeJet T65 and XP

by hgratt / January 26, 2004 2:58 AM PST

I just gave my son an old T65 for his XP system. Everthing installed and seems to work fine (including scanning) with the HP XP T65 software.

However, we have the minor problem (apparently well known) whereby the configuration settings/ initialization process comes up either at boot time or everytime the unit is used. Has anyone found a fix for this?

Thanks,
Harvey

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP OfficeJet T65 and XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP OfficeJet T65 and XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Go back to yesterday?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2004 3:04 AM PST

XP's System Restore feature is ideal for such nuances. Go back a day or two.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Go back to yesterday?
by hgratt / January 26, 2004 3:11 AM PST
In reply to: Go back to yesterday?

Why would this help? This was a clean install of the HP XP drivers/software for the T65 which we hooked up to his machine.

The problem is that a configuration initialization process resulting from the software install keeps starting up.

Harvey

Collapse -
Since it was not a problem before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2004 3:16 AM PST

"I just gave my son an old T65 for his XP system. Everthing installed and seems to work fine (including scanning) with the HP XP T65 software.

However, we have the minor problem (apparently well known) whereby the configuration settings/ initialization process comes up either at boot time or everytime the unit is used. Has anyone found a fix for this?"

I re-read your post and it's a problem today, but maybe not yesterday. I know some don't like using this tool to undo minor glitches like this.

Lexmark is pretty well known for driver glitches so if this was a problem from the initial install, be sure to check with Lexmark for current drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Since it was not a problem before.
by john-michael / June 27, 2004 10:42 AM PDT

I don't think Proffitt knows a Lexmark from an HP ... the T65 does a validation of the configuration each time ... it's a fail-safe that HP built into this workhorse of a product.

I would reccommend that you go out to www.hp.com and check under "support & drivers" and see if HP has updated the drivers for the T65 since the version of the software drivers you have may not be the latest

Collapse -
by hgratt / July 14, 2004 3:54 AM PDT

I just checked with the site - same drivers which we downloaded previously.

Thanks,
Harvey

Collapse -
Just a typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2004 4:02 AM PDT

I respond to many and I typo'd the name of the maker.

This issue is still endearing that some will not use System Restore to when it worked. Or there is something amiss with the first post and it really never worked.

A little clarity as to that would be helpful.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Just a typo.
by hgratt / July 14, 2004 7:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a typo.

O.K. It never worked under XP. The T65 was primarily a win98 machine.

When my son got a new PC with XP, I gave him the T65. We downloaded the latest driver for XP from the HP site and installed it. The problem of continuos initialization was the result. Thus, this is not a system restore issue.

From research on Google and the HP site, this is a known problem that apprarently is still unsolved.

Thanks,
Harvey

Collapse -
by 010101xxxxx / July 14, 2004 4:50 AM PDT

I read the boards on a regular basis, I am computer tech. There are few that can be deemed an "Expert" R. Proffitt, in my opinion is one of them.

Collapse -
HP OfficeJet T65 and XP and ZoneAlarm and UPNP = mess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2004 8:13 AM PDT
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=823299

This tells me all I need to know, but let me add a little. Far too many rush to install ZoneAlarm, but don't tell others that are trying to solve issues that it or another firewall was installed. On top of that, many disable the UPNP feature and ... Right or wrong, then printer driver falls down and dies in the face of such additions and tweaks.

Try the method noted in this article.

Bob
Collapse -
Re: HP OfficeJet T65 and XP and ZoneAlarm and UPNP = mess.
by hgratt / July 15, 2004 12:19 AM PDT

He does not have ZoneAlarm on his computer. We did not get the "communication error,..." message. There were no error messages during the installation which appeared to to finish correctly.

In fact, the T65 works as expected EXCEPT it wants to reconfigure itself for each user at each login.

Thanks,
Harvey

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 12:37 AM PDT

Login as Administrator and let it recofigure.

Logout.

Login as Administrator and what happens.

If it doesn't reconfigure, then you have to drill into permissiosn or consider adding users to the administrator group.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Try this.
by hgratt / July 15, 2004 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

Widows XP Home login as Admistrator is from safe mode - printer does not show up at all.

The HP site still shows that this problem is unresolved w.r.t the XP OS. Software/Drivers have not been updated in 3 years. I was just hoping that someone had found a solution since HP no longer supports this machine.

Thanks,
Harvey

Collapse -
Use the CLASSIC LOGON
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2004 6:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try this.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.