General discussion

HP Notebook Windows7 Recovery Partition problem

I recently attempted to backup my files, but my system rejected Disks after completion of the 1st Disk. I then proceeded to use Memory Sticks. However, I left the backup running and while absent space ran out and for some reason the system started to back-up to the Recovery Partition.
Since this event my computer has been behaving very strangely. Firstly, I received a message saying it was "short of memory". This puzzled me because I have more available space on the hard drive than used. Then I discovered it was something to do with RAM.
These events have led my computer to now run very very slow, freeze, not respond and fade in and out. I cannot access the Recovery Partition to delete unwanted items (as has been suggested), furthermore, as I am not technically minded I would not be too keen
to do this.
If anyone can help with my problem I would be extremely grateful.
ipar13

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP Notebook Windows7 Recovery Partition problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP Notebook Windows7 Recovery Partition problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Just my advice.

Forget windows backup and use anything else. I've lost count of how many times Microsoft's backup has failed us. Time to move on.
Bob

- Collapse -
Windows 7 Recovery Partition, Back-up & Related problems

Hi.

Thanks for reply. It makes you wonder if there is fault to be laid at someones door?? However, until I get my computer sorted I shall not attempt anymore backups.
Ipar13

- Collapse -
That door.

Is something we'd have to discuss the entire history of DOS to Windows, how everything came to be and how faults like this continue to make it to the products we use today. It's a big discussion in itself.

For now we could copy what we don't want to lose to memory sticks, external drives, the internet, recordable media and more.

Let me sum it all up with this -> Let's use what works.
Bob

- Collapse -
Back up problem

I would not fault Windows backups....in Windows 7 is appears very thorough....I tested it and it works. Unlike other window applications...you can see eveything it is backing up. What could be the problem is spanning multiple-disks. Try it agin with another brand of media. I had the same problem with another imaging program...it back up across six disk......and went I to restore it, it read the first disk and then stated.....not enough room, this spans across multiple disk and stop running. Yet that program and Windows both had no problem backing up to an external hard drive.

- Collapse -
Windows7 Recovery Partition/Backup and related computer prob

I am grateful for replies and having read-up on my problem over the past couple of weeks feel that an External Hard Drive would be the safest and most reliable way to back-up in the future.

However, meanwhile I am still left with an under performing computer.
I've done all the usual things Deleting Browsing History, Cookies, Recycle Bin, Degfrag etc., which in the short term helps. However, after using the laptop for a while it gradually reverts back to the
"not responding", very slow", messages disappearing while typing, rolling etc. This all started to happen after the back-up when my
first indication was a message saying "insufficient memory" etc. So I need to somehow resolve these problems. Is it purely due to this lack
of memory because of the related Recovery Partition. I cannot access the partition but my computer shows that the Partition has "not backed up".

The manufacturer/supplier of my machine has made several suggestions!!!? and is now talking "Horror" Recovery Disk. Upon purchase, as instructed, I created 3 Recovery Disks.

Any observations and suggestions, once again, very very welcome.

Ipar13

- Collapse -
We can backup the entire machine.

I use CLONEZILLA to do just that. I can see how some might look at Windows claiming it's not backed up and worry. How to explain that we don't worry about that when we have our copy of the drive, the recovery media and our files safely backed up?

Why is the recovery disk a horror? These machines use these all the time and this is how it works with pre-installed operating systems. When it doesn't work you restore it to the factory load and hope the owner learns not to repeat what slowed it down again.
Bob

- Collapse -
Windows7 Recovery Partition & Back-up

Hi Bob.
Thanks for message. Horror probably because I have never attempted it before. However, your comments are helpful and I shall give it a whirl, that or a large repair bill from the little man down the road.
Our Guarantees don't mean much unless, of course, the machine blows up so I guess we must all learn to be more computer-wise.

ipar13

CNET Forums