Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

HP Monitor Compatability with Macbook

I have an HP LP2465 Monitor. If I log on to the HP web page it appears that their are only Windows drivers and no reference to Mac compatability. Perhaps, this monitor may not be compatable with the Macbook? When I'm in mirror mode, the Macbook recognizes the HP LP2465 Monitor, but doesn't activate the monitor through the Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter. The monitor just goes to sleep. Does anyone know of anyway to get Macbooks to work with HP Windows monitors? Are there drivers available for the Apple?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Monitor Compatability with Macbook
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Monitor Compatability with Macbook
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers are not normally required

In reply to: HP Monitor Compatability with Macbook

for an external monitor on a Mac as, for the most part, monitors are platform agnostic and only require the correct video signal (a standard that all computer manufactures follow) to be input to it.

Take a look at the keyboard and see if you can find the output key, it is usually a key that requires the fn key to be pressed at the same time. I cannot guarantee that there is one, I have nothing to check with.

Have you tried all the options in the System Preferences/Displays?

Has the monitor got a DVI input as well as a VGA input?

P

Collapse -
Response to Drivers

In reply to: Drivers are not normally required

Yes, I would have thought the monitor would have been platform agnostic. The challenge is trying to get a signal from the MacBook to the monitor? In the Windows world you hit the func F5 and it would divert the signal, but not sure in Mac?

There doesn't appear to be any function keys that would send a signal to the HP monitor like there is within the Thinkpad environment. I experimented with a few with no luck.

I have tried all the system preferences (e.g. checked mirror box, hit detect displays and nothing. I even hit the input button on the monitor to see if it would detect the signal.

The monitor has two DVI inputs. My current setup uses a DVI-i to a VGA cable. This works for my IBM Thinkpad setup. When I unplug the Thinkpad and go to the MacBook I connect the VGA end into a VGA Adapter to Mini-DVI. I plug the Mini-DVI adapter end into the open MacBook slot. No signal to wake up the monitor?

The MacBook recognizes the monitor because it opens up a second window in the display system preferences and it states on the top of the second window HP LP2465. But there doesn't appear to be a signal being generated towards the HP screen to wake it up.

When I unplug it from the MacBook and put it back into the Thinkpad it works fine?

Collapse -
The Mini-DVI to VGA cable,

In reply to: Response to Drivers

that is the one that came from Apple, right?

Just asking.

P

Collapse -
Mini-DVI to VGA Cable

In reply to: The Mini-DVI to VGA cable,

Yes, this adapter came from Apple. J

Collapse -
Not sure what is going on here,

In reply to: Mini-DVI to VGA Cable

hopefully someone will pass this way and offer a solution.

The couple of times I used that type adapter was with a VGA projector and it worked as designed.

P

Collapse -
Problem Resolved

In reply to: Not sure what is going on here,

Problem resolved. I simply used a mini-DVI to DVI adapter instead of the mini-DVI to VGA adapter. For some reason the MacBook doesn't send a VGA signal? I plugged the mini-DVI adapter into the MacBook. The DVI end was joined to a male DVI adapter. The other end of the DVI adapter was plugged into the monitor (DVI connector). By making the whole link DVI and eliminating the VGA link the problem resolved.

Collapse -
(NT) Way to go

In reply to: Problem Resolved

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.