Question

HP Mini Post May 20??

Need some info on how to backup HP mini 1000 using XP Home Edition. According to Microsoft can't be done??

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HP Mini Post May 20??
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HP Mini Post May 20??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
HP Mini 2009 Model: 1000 Backup?? XP Home Edition

Bob: I thought making a boot disk would work, because this works for about every OS I have ever needed to backup. Is there some way I could backup my files to another disk to clarify my question and how do I do it? Boot disk didn't work. I'm not interested in backing up files. I know how to get around that. I want to backup my drivers, and sp3 on HP mini in case hard drive crashes.

- Collapse -
Of course there is a way but that was not the question.

There is no way provided from Microsoft.

Here my backup of the machine is assured. I used CLONEZILLA to save an image of the HDD ready to restore when need be.

FILES!!! are backed up any of some thousand ways. Today I'm thinking more online along with USB sticks and DVDs.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
I agree.

There is no native app supplied with XP Home to do that. This is why HP provided either restore media or a way to create or order said media.

And if one wanted to backup the entire machine there are numerous apps that do that. But that was not your question.
Bob

- Collapse -
Need Help with Clonezilla Live ,HP Mini 1000 XP Home Edition

Bob:
Got file burned onto cd, checked to make sure all files were burned on cd, went and changed boot up priority to be Toshiba d: drive device, saved. Still doesn't see Clonezilla on d: and HP Logo then Welcome screen comes up and onto Windows again. Went to forum to see if I could find missing steps to boot from cd but still can't get it to work. Also saw threads of comments and all seem to be having the same issues as I'm having. Even using a USB flashdrive isn't working for some people. I don't have two USB flashdrive ports on my HP Mini because I have to run cooling pad to keep mini cool. Please advise.

- Collapse -
That does not sound right.
- Collapse -
Clonezilla Live :image HD on HP Mini 1000 XP Home

Here are the instructions. I tried the burn the cd method using InfraRecorder app(per Clonezilla Live site) because Roxio app didn't work: Filesystem supported: (1) ext2, ext3, ext4, reiserfs, reiser4, xfs, jfs of GNU/Linux, (2) FAT, NTFS of MS Windows, (3) HFS+ of Mac OS, (4) UFS of FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, and (5) VMFS of VMWare ESX. Therefore you can clone GNU/Linux, MS windows, Intel-based Mac OS, and FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, no matter it's 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x86-64) OS. For these file systems, only used blocks in partition are saved and restored. For unsupported file system, sector-to-sector copy is done by dd in Clonezilla.Recovery Clonezilla live with multiple CDs or DVDs is not implemented yet. Now all the files have to be in one CD or DVD if you choose to create the recovery iso file.

Also included in instructions per website: Is it possible I can put clonezilla live in my harddrive which already has an OS installed ? Yes.???? The requested URL /clonezilla-live/livehd.php was not found on this server Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request. http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live/livehd.php

Also went back and re-read: www.<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">howtogeek.com. I also rechecked cd and yes there is Clonezilla Live on cd. I'm going to try another cd app to copy Clonezilla Live. Please advise. Method 2: No space on HDD to make another partition and run from HDD.

- Collapse -
Sorry

I think you may not be ready for this backup system. While it is free and I can backup systems (PLURAL!!) to external USB Hard Drives it appears you want something like ACRONIS.

As to your question, I've never done that. From what I read it appears you can't create the bootable CD and can't use other web pages on how to make such a thing.

I think, for you, you need to buy ACRONIS.
Bob

- Collapse -
Two things come to mind

1] You didn't burn Clonezilla correctly to the CD. It is an ISO file, which means it is recognised as a boot file when the CD is used to boot up with. Burning just as data and files is not an ISO file. You need to know how to burn that file to CD, as an ISO

2] If it has been burned as an ISO file correctly, then the machine's BIOS does not recognise the CD drive as a Boot Device. Access the BIOS, and change the boot order to place the CD drive top of the list. That way, whenever a CD boot disk is in the drive when you turn the computer on, the BIOS will recognise the drive and boot from that before looking for the hard drive.

Mark

CNET Forums