Peripherals forum

General discussion

HP Laserjet 6P keeps showing paper jam, when none exists

I found a little metal clip, that maybe goes in the paper tray somewhere? I took a couple of pictures of it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17804743@N05/

Anybody know if this is even from my printer?

Thanks -
Michelle

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laserjet 6P keeps showing paper jam, when none exists
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laserjet 6P keeps showing paper jam, when none exists
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
WAG here...

In reply to: HP Laserjet 6P keeps showing paper jam, when none exists

MAYBE...the paper tray just isn't fully seated and/or that clip is part of the tray(or tray area) that causes a sensor to be defeated(allow use) and/or allow a snug/proper aligned fit. This is a part that unless returned may cure you're problem. Unfortunately, I can't recall such an item. It just isn't good to find parts lying about.

Many times when no true fault can be found, then either a sensor, paper chad, or broken mechanism is at fault. However, only a tear down is best to locate such and get a picture of what should be. Detailed schematics help here and if a frequent problem(s) reported by co. tech notes.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Addenum -HP surfer

In reply to: WAG here...

Here is a link to HP's parts surfer:
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main?sel_flg=modinfo&model=C3980A

The 6P is already selected. The process is tedious if you don't know where to start. The idea is to get into an area to explore and thus provide an exploded view of such. Hopefully, the item can be located and get to return it back, if not broken. If you're lucky maybe there is another one or multiple similar item, but again you have to look, inspect, check, etc. to see what makes sense. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.