Peripherals forum

General discussion

HP LaserJet 1022 printing everything off center 1/8"

I've had an HP LaserJet 1022 for a little over a year and has been producing excellent results, but about two months ago it began printing everything offset 1/8" to the top and right. To test this, I opened a page in Pagemaker with 1/2" margins, drew a black line around the margins forming a box, did a print, and confirmed the offset. I've reloaded the drivers, downloaded the most current driver from HP, but no help. My other printer, a Canon i960, prints the same pages perfectly centered.

I've been in contact with HP assistance and they had me do some tests to rule out software and hardware concerns, but nothing has helped. One thing they had me do that may shine some light on the problem is what they call a "half self-test", where I do a test print from the printer's panel and as soon as the leading edge of the paper appears in the output area, I lift up the toner cartridge cover and remove the toner cartridge. This was to make sure the process is working correctly by seeing a dark, clear image on the drum...which I did. I also did this test using the box page in Pagemaker 6.5, and noticed the vertical page lines on the drum were perfectly aligned with the two little square notches located near each end of the leading edge of the toner cartridge that extends over the drum. If these are alignment guide notches, I'm assuming the image is centered as it should be on the drum. ?? If that's the case, then why is it coming out offset on the paper? BTW, it doesn't matter what program I use to print the pages...Pagemaker 6.5, InDesign CS2, Word, etc.

The only thing I've changed in my system is the installation of Service Pack 2 about two months ago.

I'm using Win XP Pro and do the majority of my printing from Pagemaker 6.5 and InDesign CS2. As I said, my other printer prints everything perfectly centered.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
DC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP LaserJet 1022 printing everything off center 1/8"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP LaserJet 1022 printing everything off center 1/8"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Look at...

In reply to: HP LaserJet 1022 printing everything off center 1/8"

Laser printers develope a physical problem either of obstruction of laser or the fuser has a torn segment, thus not fusing that area. I don't know if on your model printer, remove the toner cart and use the 'green wiper' that can be swiped across the surface to remove possible blocks or paper . It should be obivous as a green handle on the toner cart or mechanism(check manual). Also, check to see if no paper is found in the paper path anywhere along it entire legth. The last part is the fuser, open the rear door or whatever it takes and inspect the fuser, it should be either a black or pinkish surface, it should all be uniform and no missing or torn areas. The toner cart itself should be shaken 'side-to-side' in a firm but gentle manner to free stuck toner. Return all together, now do a test page, and check results. if the problem seems to move, you got a blockage or obstruction, find it. If the fuser is bad, replace. If the toner is bad, replace. These are mu guesses on the h/w side.

On the s/w side, be sure you review under the printer page setting what the margins are set at. Just because one printer works and another differs that suggests the setting are different for each as a "default" is being used, so don't take anything for granted, check it. You can use the Ctrl+P cmd.(review margins before any printing is done) to review such setting plus whatever the printer's own options are from the likes of HP. i suggest you use MS own test pages(under properties) and not any pgm. like Word or such at least during this testing.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Willy: Reply

In reply to: Look at...

Thanks, Willy. I've checked everything I can without taking the printer apart, which may be the next move. It's clean inside, although I can't get at the fuser without removing the back of the printer. The other thing I noticed while looking through some old prints made when I first got the printer, it's now printing everything darker and heavier. What used to be nice, crisp, normal looking text is now heavier, bolder looking (same text, same size). Graphics are visibly darker than when it was new. Tried another toner cartridge and didn't help.

I just got a new laser printer and it's printing everything perfectly centered with normal looking text and graphics.

Sl

Collapse -
Update

In reply to: Willy: Reply

I ran a cleaning sheet through the printer a few times and it helped reduce the heavy looking text, though not completely. The printer has a relatively new toner cartridge and I still have the original, so shook the original cartridge, installed it, did a black box print to determine the depth of black in the used toner (and it was deep, solid black) tried more prints...and text/graphics look normal. So maybe the "new" toner cartridge has a problem?

Unfortunately, the 1/8" offset is still there. I plan to call HP about this after Christmas.

Denny

Collapse -
Last update

In reply to: Update

Well, the printer finally died. It began spitting out uneven black pages with thin dark banding lines, even when printing a blank page. Some had a blurred white (blank) vertical area on the right side, the length of the page. Did a half self test and there was absolutely no image on the drum, just a layer of toner. Suspect fuser, but would cost nearly as much as the printer to replace, and that may not be the actual problem. Next stop...trash can.

Denny

Collapse -
Repair costs vs. new

In reply to: Last update

If you remove the toner cart, noticed where it seated, a small metal area. Possibility(no example) but the corona wire may have broken or that area filled with toner. Only a good blowing out will help plus a vacuum of the area. The wire if broken is important to drain-off charge build-up thus render it set. It could be something else, but it open to best observe. Also, the H/V unit may have needed adjustment or it failed. None of the possible causes are good even a bad laser itself will cause a black page. In these matters sometimes swapping parts is the best fix at times. A good help website is: http:fixyourownprinter.com also parts are available from them.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Toner cartridge

In reply to: Repair costs vs. new

The uneven black pages turned out to be a bad toner cartridge. HP sent me a new one and it prints fine...still off center, but it prints.

Also, I found a source to get a cheap aftermarket toner cart for my HP 4 Plus that's been out of commission for about two years just to test it and see what may be wrong with it, and it's printing great. Probably a bad toner in that case as well. Man! The 4 Plus has been cranking out prints without a problem since I got it in 1992. Back then, you got what you paid for. Too bad it's so slow at only 12 PPM with slow warm-up and can connect only by parallel or serial. But it's a workhorse and I'll start using it again. Right now, I have the Samsung ML-2510 and 4 Plus set up, and have put the 1022 back in the box as a spare. Print quality is nearly exact between the Samsung and 4 Plus...crisp and clear. It's amazing how good the cheap Samsung's print quality is. And at 25 PPM with fast warm up and spooling, it can crank out some pages. No, it won't survive as long as the 4 Plus, but oh well. I could by 15 Samsungs for the price of the 4 Plus. I think I have my mono printing covered now.

Denny

Collapse -
open software

In reply to: Toner cartridge

try alligning print cartridges

Collapse -
And how does one do that?

In reply to: open software

How do you align the print cartridge on an HP 1022...or on any mono laser printer? I've gone through the software but can find no such feature.

Denny

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.