Laptops forum

General discussion

HP laptop won't get past the BIOS / POST screen

by Ck87.JF / May 14, 2010 11:30 AM PDT

The laptop is an HP Pavilion dv5t-1000.
It has 4GB of RAM, an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, and I think 320 GB hard drive.

The product number is kq574av.

I can set the BIOS settings, I can select the drive to boot from (CD or HDD), but when it tries to boot, it just shows a black screen perpetually.

I've tried swapping HDD & DVD drives as well as RAM from a good computer, all to no avail.

Any other suggestions for testing and figuring out what is going on with the computer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop won't get past the BIOS / POST screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop won't get past the BIOS / POST screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
For a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 12:14 PM PDT

Try no hard drive. Just the DVDRW. Place your working Ubuntu LiveCD (see google) in there and try to boot the LiveCD. I must decline from duplicating what the Ubuntu LiveCD is and how we use that but it's a test I use to see what to try next.

Remember to unplug ALL USB devices as some can cause this issue.
Bob

Collapse -
re: Ubuntu
by Ck87.JF / May 14, 2010 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: For a test.

Yes, that's the disc I was attempting to boot from, Ubuntu 10.04
Out of curiosity, why can you not give any additional information? It's free, both in cost & in licensing, I don't see a need to hide any information about it.

Anyway, I tried what you suggested, and when it tried to boot from the hard drive, it complained that one was not present, and when I told it to boot from the optical drive, it did the same thing as before.

I decided maybe resetting the BIOS would help, so I removed both the big battery & the little button-cell battery, then pressed power to release any power ... after that I put both back in, turned it on, and pressed F9 to get to the drive boot screen. Usually it showed Hard drive, DVD drive, network boot, etc. This time it showed four hard drive options, and none other.

Also, there are no USB devices or flash cards (such as SD) inserted.

Thanks for the idea, though it didn't work. Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2010 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: re: Ubuntu

But I type in all my replies. If I were to type in any instructions I would duplicate "the web pages" about Ubuntu. If this is unacceptable please tell me and I'll remove my first reply and not bother you again.
Bob

Collapse -
re: sorry
by Ck87.JF / May 14, 2010 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I realize you type all your replies.
I realize that you are a moderator & that you post many replies.
But perhaps in the space of time it took to write "I won't mention what Ubuntu is or how it helps," you could have mentioned it's a free Linux distribution that by running it, it will test whether the computer can boot from the DVD drive.

Anyway, I'm sorry you found offense in my prior reply, I meant none by it, nor do I here.

I do appreciate your suggestion, as it was a good thought, and gained one small bit of knowledge (about the PC complaining when the HDD is removed).

Is there anything further you can suggest in discovering the problem with this computer?

Collapse -
Off track I fear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2010 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: re: sorry

Since the test failed and it appears I've offended you I have now unsubscribed. This is all volunteer and at times when I'm not writing long enough replies or telling all by letting members do some research on their own a few find that unacceptable.

Sadly it looks like the motherboard has an issue. Get a price for that.
Bob

Collapse -
black start up screen
by monkey_on_my_back / August 19, 2010 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: re: sorry

i have a similar problem , on my laptop if i press the esc key ,thenrun my finger along the funtion keys, it seems to stsrt up wait about 10 seconds, not sure which function key is the correct one,hence i press them all. not sure if it will help,but worth a try?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!