Laptops forum

Question

HP laptop won't boot.

by Janitor47 / June 20, 2012 1:44 PM PDT

I closed the lid of my HP DV6-1264ca (artists edition 2) laptop to put it to sleep. I return back 20 minutes later to open the lid, but it won't start. It does wake up and fans are running and even the LEDs are lit on the keyboard, but the screen is black. I wait many minutes until I force shut it down. I start it up, and the same deal occurs. I notice that the lights beside the caps lock and num lock keys are blinking slowly. Nothing on screen ever appears. What could cause such a sudden problem? It was working fine few minutes ago.

I've tried all solutions that I found on the internet; Unplugging power cord and removing battery for few minutes. I've tried that power reset method (unplug power & remove battery, hold power button for a minute, plug the power cord in, then try booting it) but no luck. I've tried switching up the RAM slots, and removing the HDD. I've even tried removing the CMOS battery for a few minutes. I've tried these solutions numerous times but no luck.

System information is as follows:
HP DV6-1264ca
Windows 7 64-Bit
4GB RAM
Radeon HD 4650
AMD dual core 2.2GHz

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
- Derek

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP laptop won't boot.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP laptop won't boot.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Looks like it's inside warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 20, 2012 2:13 PM PDT
In reply to: HP laptop won't boot.

Make the call.

If you forgot to backup, I'd pull the drive out into some USB case so you can copy your files out before sending it in. HP always restores to the factory load so it's up to you to save the files.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Looks like it's inside warranty.
by Janitor47 / June 20, 2012 11:55 PM PDT

Forgot to mention, laptop is 2-3 years old. Warranty is long gone, aha.

Thanks for the reply.

Collapse -
Then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 12:59 AM PDT

As to the files, same reply.

As to the machine, usually a bad motherboard. For a test I unplug optical and hard drive as well as any USB thing and try again. I'm only looking for a live motherboard. Nothing else.
Bob

Collapse -
RE: Then.
by Janitor47 / June 21, 2012 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Then.

I've tried to start the laptop with the HDD and optical drives removed, no luck. If the machine isn't even able to boot the BIOS software, then I guess it is a problem with the motherboard. I sure hope it ain't any physical damage to the motherboard - if I am to replace the motherboard, I would just invest in a new laptop already. But how could a motherboard become damaged after such little time, when I did absolutely nothing to it? I put it to sleep, and tried to use it 20 minutes later, and boom.

Do you think it would be worth to re-install the BIOS software? I've read there are methods where you use a USB flash stick to somehow re-install it.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Collapse -
Sure why not.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Then.

If HP documents how to re-flash the BIOS like that, then they told you something about it being an issue.

Failure analysis is something I did professional a few decades ago. We would use microscopes, slice and dice boards and even etch off layers of a chip to determine what failed. So I'm the wrong person to ask why it failed. To get an accurate answer usually runs a suitcase of cash.

If you research the failures of the dv6000 you see it was traced to a bad design decision. Fast forward to the dv6 and dv7 and if anyone asks me, I tell them to avoid that line. Even in warranty HP failed to fix or replace my dead HP laptop so I'm very unsure of that maker. Imagine the poor soul who is in school and if that happened to them.

Something is wrong with that company.
Bob

Collapse -
Yep.
by Janitor47 / June 21, 2012 3:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Sure why not.

Isn't dv6000 series not the same as my dv6-1000 series?

But anyways, yeah, I've done some reading on the internet where many people complained about HP's laptops, until I finally came across a link regarding recalls on batteries from specific models of laptops (http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/). Apparently it gives dangerous risks of catching fire because of excessive overheating. My model isn't in there, but mine does get extremely hot, too. The CPU also gets very hot, which gets to 80 degrees Celsius at idle.

I've also come across this chart regarding what the blinking of the LEDs mean (http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Lockups-Freezes-Hangs/MY-HP-DV6-Pravillion-Laptop-Won-t-start-up-the-screen/td-p/652713). My caps & num lock keys blink once every 2 seconds, so I guess I go under the category of "CPU not functional"? I don't know. I'm gonna be clowning around for the next few days to see what I can do with the machine. I'll try reinstalling BIOS. I'll be sure to post back soon if I ever find any solutions.

Thanks for your replies.
-Derek

Collapse -
Nice find.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 21, 2012 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep.

And the dv6000 was a well discussed failure. Lawsuits flew and more. Plenty of reading there. I can bet some engineer was saying all the time "I would not make that!" but marketing and price decisions often override the engineer's views.

This model looks to be that newer Fusion system. I haven't tried one since I'm waiting to see how reliable that system is. From the looks of the dv6 and 7 I'm going back to avoid those models with the AMD Fusion chips.

They may be a good value but the posts make me wonder if folk will get a lot of years from them.
Bob

Collapse -
Update.
by Janitor47 / June 23, 2012 10:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice find.

According to the Caps Lock/Num Lock blink code (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01732674&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=ca&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=3979408), my CPU seems to not be functional. The solution says to reseat the CPU, so I did. I completely stripped apart the laptop, and I took out the CPU for a few minutes, then placed if back, and I even replaced the thermal paste. I put it back together and started it, and no luck. I'm afraid that the CPU might be fried. The past years of the thing overheating above 80 Celsius at idle, I'm not surprised the thing finally died. I'm gonna send it in to a computer repair shop to be verified by a professional that it indeed is the CPU that's fried. After that I'll probably buy a new CPU from eBay for like $50 and replace it myself.

If I ever fix the laptop, I'm selling this piece of garbage (hopefully I can find a buyer), and invest in a new one. I made a huge mistake buying this HP machine.. I was looking for the most powerful and "best" computer, when I actually should have just bought a reliable one that does the job for my specific needs. Waste of $1200.. Next laptop I buy I'm definitely gonna give more thought in to it. Instead of buying a power house, I'll buy a quiet & less power consuming one.

I'll probably be looking for one with long battery life, because I start college this autumn. Would you have any personal recommendations of laptop manufacturers & models that are most reliable? Or anyone else that happens to read this discussion thread.

Collapse -
Nod to the new Utlrabooks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 23, 2012 10:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Update.

For "work" the new Ultrabooks look very nice and battery times are high.

But if you know batteries you know you don't run on battery when there is AC available. Most batteries are 300 cycle affairs so keep it on AC when you can to stretch the battery "life."

The Zenbook, S3 look nice here. I have my eye on the S3 but since my Samsung rc512 is doing so well, I can't bring myself to do this until later.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?