Computer Help forum

Question

HP Laptop Problems

Last night my dog decided to throw up on my laptop keys. I wont go into detail but it wasn't all that liquidy. But I went head and wiped it down but in the process of doing so I pressed alot of random keys. After that I didn't touch the laptop again until the next morning. For some reason the keyboard was not working. The touchpad and power button did but nothing else. I tried updating the laptop, updating hardware, ext. But nothing worked. Last thing I did was took the battery out but now it won't turn on at all. Any help?

What I think might have happened:

1. Some of the vomit got into the laptop and damaged it?

2. While I was pressing random keys I shut something down or whatever?

I don't know why it's not powering on now. I (obviously) don't know if the keyboard is fixed or not since it's off. All I did was take the battery out and put it back in. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm not much of a technical person. Sorry if I sound like a noob (Cause I am!)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Laptop Problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Laptop Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
maybe you need....

In reply to: HP Laptop Problems

...to put the battery back in. I'd suggest taking the outer casing off and clean it out better.

Collapse -
Answer
This a tough one.

In reply to: HP Laptop Problems

First, don't let your dog use your computer when he's drunk. He was probably going to get on Facebook or Twitter and post something that would have embarrassed you both. Maybe get him his own tablet or something that he can throw up on if he wants.

Second, in wiping down the keyboard and pressing a lot of random keys you were probably pushing more dog vomit into the laptop keyboard and maybe deeper into the laptop itself.

I think you have three choices here: 1) take it apart and try to clean it up yourself. If you are not that much of a technical person, that's probably not going to work. 2) take it to a professional computer repairer (like Best Buy's Geek Squad) and get an estimate on clean up and repair. Maybe they can clean it up, maybe you just need to have the keyboard replaced. 3) Throw up your hands and go ahead and get a new laptop to replace it. A computer professional (somebody like Best Buy's Geek Squad) can pull the hard drive out of your old laptop, it should still be good, and copy all your stuff onto your new laptop.

Collapse -
Agree with Bob_Meyer

In reply to: This a tough one.

I'd go further, even, if you've never taken a laptop apart, this isn't the time to start with what, from your description (thanks for sparing us the details!), is fairly heavy contamination. Take it to a repair shop and get a quote for cleaning it, then compare with a replacement laptop.

Your description, particularly about the failure to start after you moved the battery, the contamination has penetrated deep into the laptop and likely shorted out a few connections.It may have got into the power connect ion or the battery terminals. I would be inclined not to attemot to switch it on again until you have asked a professional opinion and for safety reasons, remove the battery and don't put it back, again until you have it inspected.

I fear this will not end well.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.